FSX Gone!

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

FSX Gone!

Post by hobby »

For two years I have been bumbling about using the Gold edition of FSX.

I use McAfee and CCleaner to keep my machine in order. FSX was installed on my 'D' Drive together with an awful lot of addon scenery including MAIW airfields and traffic.

Monday a.m. first thing clean up our computers using the two programs noted above.

I'd managed to improve the act cfg. of the CFS Lancaster and to fit and test a bombing program to the aircraft last night.

This morning I attempted to set out for Cape Wrath bombing range to be met with a message that "a named file was missing" and FSX would shut down immediately. I have no malware on my machine.

Nothing for it but to strip out the whole of my FSX setup and to re-install.

Some months ago I had W10 imposed on me by MS and after several failed attempts at installing the bare bones of FSX I searched the web for help. Seems quite a number of FSX users have had the same problem with varied good fortune at re-installing FSX. I've tried everything but to no avail.

Can anyone help please - FSX was my main hobby and I do not wish to use the Steam version.

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Re: FSX Gone!

Post by adysmith »

Reinstall Windows 7. 10 is a pile of garbage!
ImageImage
Old pilots never die, they just run out of runway.

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

My experience:-
I used to put the hate on W10 but I now find many of its incompatibilities have been resolved and it is a much stabler OS than any OS ever was.

I have Gold too, Are you saying it won't reinstall? (I also have an original 2006 version :-( ) I found when I tried to reinstall it that you had to let Disk #1 sit in the drive for about 15 mins after executing the .exe install file. It appears to be doing nothing but is in fact working. The Acceleration disc also takes a while but will install.
Or are you getting error numbers? There are various YT videos which cover that.

Ultimately Steam's FSX is superior in stability and I'd go with that. I did try a dual Gold & Steam for a while but that caused issues with REX so I sadly dumped Gold.

CCleaner is awful and strips out things that should be left alone. I opt for Glary utilities which is a) Free also and b) has waaaay more usability and c) does not have the bad press of CC.

McAfee is not great either. I have reverted to MS Defender which is much improved and FREE. I have never had a virus using it. I did get one with Kaspersky, so what does that tell us about paid for protections?
Alex

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

That's a bummer. :(
First thing I would do is check to see if any backups were made by CCleaner, or files quarantined by McAfee. If so, it should be possible to restore them.
I'd also exclude your FSX folders from any future McAfee scans.
Personally, I wouldn't let CCleaner or McAfee anywhere near my PC, but that's by-the-by.
Dave G.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Might seem a stupid thought but have you tried installing as administrator? I had to do this before I could get it to install on my Win10, the same goes with the Acceleration Disc.

Equally I came across another problem when trying to register Acceleration after installing it and if you by any chance face the same problem then the following will help.

a. Click Start and type regedit in the search bar and press enter.

b. Browse to the following location:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\CONTROL\CLASS\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

c. Find Upperfilters listed under it, and check its value, if its 0 change it to PartMgr and click OK if on the other hand PartMgr is there just make sure that it is not down like this partmgr Make sure that the P and M are capitilised.

CCleaner is awful and strips out things that should be left alone. I opt for Glary utilities which is a) Free also and b) has waaaay more usability and c) does not have the bad press of CC.
Thanks Steve, just uninstalled CCleaner and installed Glary utilities. Got really fed up with CCleaner and the way it worked so many thanks.:thumbsup:

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

WarHorse47
Comet
Comet

Post by WarHorse47 »

Never panic. Whenever I panic, I make things worse.

I've used CCCleaner for years and never had a problem. Getting my virus protection software to behave is another story.

Anyways. when FSX shuts down like that it could be one of two things - 1) attempting to load a corrupt flight or aircraft as your default flight or 2) a corrupt FSX.cfg.

The first thing I would do is rename your FSX.cfg and see if FSX creates a new one. If it works it will reset the simulator.

If there is a file missing as you indicated, do you know which one? Did you look at your OS error report?

Just some suggestions. Hope they help.

--WH

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

Post by hobby »

perhaps it was on the twenty first or was it the twenty third attempt today that I finally managed to re-install FSX! Hoorah!! But FSX does not include FSX Acceleration! So only two thirds of the way there. During the day I thoroughly cleaned all three disks and continued my searches on the web.

At 21:30 hrs I found an excellent 6 minute YouTube film which explained in detail what to do when you get the dreaded Error: 1-80004005.
You have to go to regedit and trace a file {4D336E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318. Double click on the UpperFilters on the right and make sure that the only entry reads 'PartMgr' (no commas). What I found was 'partmgr' (no commas). You the close regedit. Put the acceleration disk into your computer and tell it to mend itself - it takes ages to get going but eventually you should see 'successful installation.' Only it was not a 'successful installation' after more repeated tries.

I did achieve success when I returned to the 'regedit' routine and changed the 'p' and 'm' to capital letters before closing regedit and getting the acceleration disk to mend itself. I then had to feed in the Acceleration code number and, Bingo, all is working so far. a test cct of Seattle confirmed that all that should be there was there and was working.

Now for several days of putting back the scenery etc. That enough for one day.

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

I also wouldn't let McAfee anywhere near my system, nor MS Defender for that matter.

Back in the day with Windows 98, Millennium and maybe XP, I'd have been keen on these so called cleaning apps, but nowadays I really don't think they are required.
Windows 10 is a good enough OS to keep itself in order.

For info, one of the best anti virus packages available at present is Bitdefender. Various discounts are easy to come by as well.
For those running awful packages such as McAfee, Norton, MS Defender etc, remember that they are only written to alert you to stopping a virus, not missing one.
I've dealt with plenty of PCs where the owner has said I've never had a virus, only to remove the hard drive and scan it with another tool and find problems that their software missed.
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Ho Hobby and pleased to hear that you are back to normal. When I re-installed FSX it was the add-ons that took a very long time to install as had so many of them!! :lol:

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.