The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

BT or Virgin ?

Post by Paul K »

Hello chaps, and Happy New Year :)

I'm currently using BT Infinity, and generally have been pretty happy with it over the last few years. In the next few months, I will be moving home, and having checked my new address, BT is available, but at a lower download speed - about 30Mb/s compared to 70Mb/s where I am at the moment.

Virgin Media is also available at the new location, with much higher download speed, for about the same price.

I can do all the maths comparing speeds ( up and down ) monthly costs and so on, but the big question for me is whether Virgin are any good. By that I mean how reliable is the connection and the advertised download speed, how quickly do they resolve any problems, can you understand the accents at the call centre, do they bombard you with emails, cold calls and snail mail trying to sell you things you don't want, and so on.

Any advice/horror stories gratefully received.

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: BT or Virgin ?

Post by GHD »

I am with Virgin (broadband and phone only).

Fortunately I have only once had to endure an Indian advisor :wall:

In the last three years it has gone down only once for about three hours.

No nuisance calls.

I regularly get 200Mbs download and 12Mbs upload.

George

Molyned
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Molyned »

George - I've been on Virgin cable for long before they became Virgin. Always get 100 mbs solid, never had a problem.
Cheers :cheers:
Dave M(oly)

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Good advice so far, thank you. George, my elder daughter says Virgin has a UK call centre - when were you in contact with them?

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

It was prfobavly about a year ago.

My only gripe is that the cost goes up yearly.

I am currently paying £67.40 per month. New customers pay a lot less.
George

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

My mum is with Virgin due to no other fibre service being available at the address.
She certainly has no issues with them, but as with any ISP, the supplied routers are only fit for the bin.
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Er-hum, 'scuse me, Paul, but my download speed just checked out at 9.97Mbps, upload 0.97Mbps.
....and you're wondering whether 30 or 70 will be OK? I'll take either. thanks! :lol: :lol: :lol:
You DID ask for horror stories. :agree:

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

Comparison time...

edit - dammit pic wont show up -- 333.7 down 15.9 up.
Alex

Buggyman
VC10
VC10

Post by Buggyman »

331/221 WHAT?

Sorry for shouting but, after 11 years of badgering BT have finally given us access to fibre - the offer? Er, you really want to know? Up to 20mbs! Which if you put it into perspective that we almost get 3.5 - occasionally almost 4mbs - is a quantum leap into the unknown.

Perhaps we should move back to Yorkshire? (my neighbour says Yes, please do.) :lol:

ATB

Allan

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Charlie Bravo wrote:
04 Jan 2019, 21:37
My mum is with Virgin due to no other fibre service being available at the address.
She certainly has no issues with them, but as with any ISP, the supplied routers are only fit for the bin.
Charlie, are you able to buy and use your own router with Virgin ? I'm told that with BT Infinity, only their own Home Hub router can be used, though I've never considered trying anything else.
Airspeed wrote:
05 Jan 2019, 03:53
Er-hum, 'scuse me, Paul, but my download speed just checked out at 9.97Mbps, upload 0.97Mbps.
....and you're wondering whether 30 or 70 will be OK? I'll take either. thanks! :lol: :lol: :lol:
You DID ask for horror stories. :agree:
:lol: Yes, but think of all the other things you enjoy in t'Outback: the sunshine, visits by friendly dingos, and, erm...more sunshine. ;)