Rebuilding my PC

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Rebuilding my PC

Post by chrispbits »

I have finally (after months of prompting) got permission from SWMBO to meaningfully upgrade my PC so new motherboard, processor, memory and cooler to be ordered soon(ish). I need to change the case as the current one is not the easiest to work with and the front facing USB ports are actually top facing USB ports which makes it a bit tricky (due to space) to plug things in. Has anyone any recent experience of a new case - midi tower size - and can pass on their experiences?

One of the reasons for the upgrade is I've run out of SATA ports so don't have my DVD connected but it occurred to me recently that a consolidation of disk drives might have solved that problem (I have 5 including an M2 SSD) but decided to keep quiet as I think that was my winning justification for the upgrade ;) .

Once the upgrade is complete (November) I'll have an ASUS Z97-K motherboard and an Intel i7 4790k with a connected cooler and 16Gb of memory up for grabs. No longer the latest and greatest but no slouch either. The thing is I'm prepared to free-cycle this if whomever wants it can pay postage and packing. Let me know via PM.

Regards,
Chris

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Rebuilding my PC

Post by Charlie Bravo »

Hi Chris,

I recently changed my case to a Corsair Carbide 275Q and have been mighty pleased with it.
Maybe worth a look to see if it fits your needs?

https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categorie ... 9011164-WW

Rgds
Chris
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Post by chrispbits »

Thanks for that Chris, that's a cool looking case. Might be a touch small but will measure stuff to see what fits. Drive bays might also be a problem but I need to consolidate the number of hard drives I've got so could well work.

Regards,
Chris

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Post by chrispbits »

Okay, all the bits bought. I've ended up with:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600x processor
MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge motherboard
32Gb Corsair Vengeance 3200Mhz RAM
WD Black 6Tb HDD
Fractal Design Define R6 "Midi" Tower case

The only things I've kept from this PC is the storage, the video card and the PSU.

Some of these names are bit much and the so called "Midi" case is blooming big but at least it has plenty of space to work with and it looks very well made.

Now to put it all to together, which means turning this one off (it works) messing around with screw drivers and turning the new one on hoping that it will work!

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

chrispbits wrote:
01 Nov 2019, 17:05
Now to put it all to together, which means turning this one off (it works) messing around with screw drivers and turning the new one on hoping that it will work!
Good luck going round the dark side, Chris. :thumbsup:

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Post by chrispbits »

I have emerged from the dark side. Not fully tuned yet but everything is running as it should. First impressions - very fast. Tuning and generally setting stuff up for the week to come (time permitting).

I'm a bit embarrassed to say that it's only now that I've discovered that I have a modular power supply! I had absolutely no idea until I needed additional power for the new hard drive and the DVD drive that I've not been able to use for over a year.

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

What graphics are you running Chris?
Dale
Image Image Image

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Post by chrispbits »

Hi Dale, it's an ASUS 1070 (something something something).

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Post by chrispbits »

Apologies Dale, my previous reply was completely wrong! The graphics card is an Asus RTX 2070.

Changing hardware used to be so simple - it took me nearly an hour this morning to reactive Windows 10. In the end I had to speak to a live person; fortunately I still had my Windows 7 key so that was the starting point for getting everything as it should be.

I'm currently in the process of moving lots of stuff around various storage devices. The aim is to put X-Plane and P3D core onto a 500Mb SSD with scenery on the new WD drive. Also move the C drive onto fast M2 storage (that should be fun!).

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

That's a nice system Chris... Very similar to mine and X-Plane runs really well.
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.