Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Re: Going to Extremes?

Post by Airspeed »

Buggyman wrote:
06 Oct 2019, 20:52
SWMOWQ says that I can spend whatever I want as recent close calls prove that I can't take it with me so...…….. maybe I will get serious about buying something. Who knows? :lol:

ATB

Allan
Sorry to hear that, Allan :( I hope that those close calls disappear into the far distance.

I'm similarly ignorant about RAM, Mrs A's was upped from 4 to 16GB, but it doesn't seem to have given her machine super powers. Nevertheless, I'm still seriously thinking of upping mine. Recalling my history, though, scenery used to load pretty smartly. All my sim stuff is on one SSD, but these days, loading takes forever. I have to think that there's something other than RAM letting the system down. :dunno:

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Slowing down - I think its all the junk M$ keep updating. Think I saw somewhere where one can delete the updates after installation (?)
Keith

P.S. My SSD is for the basic windows operating system, my HDDs cover the others (Prog files(x86) etc). This saves the SSD from being written & read to all the time which can kill a SSD -- at least thats what I was told!

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

Use PC Part Picker for a guide https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

You can browse to you hearts content and using the build guide, it will point out possible conflicts in any choice you make. Plus it will report pretty accurately from my experience pricing variations accurately.

It is a resource really though for the PC builder should you opt for that. It is pretty easy and satisfying. :cpu:
Alex

Buggyman
VC10
VC10

Post by Buggyman »

Had a look. Wow, what a place to go to if able to build your own PC. Alas, my electronic work is limited to installing new SSDs and sound cards.

On the subject of sound cards; I notice that a lot of new build PCs are offered with on board sound. I thought that the best course was to have a separate sound card?

And which is the best course of action Intel or AMD processors? I've always had Intel by default but I'm not bothered one way or t'other.

ATB

Allan

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

On the subject of sound cards; I notice that a lot of new build PCs are offered with on board sound. I thought that the best course was to have a separate sound card?
I have a built in sound card on my system, does not use much, if any resources to run and does not affect performance either. The built in sound system on new computers is good enough for me and to be perfectly honest, I don't think I would notice any difference between on-board sound or a sound card.
And which is the best course of action Intel or AMD processors? I've always had Intel by default but I'm not bothered one way or t'other.
Now this can open up a can of worms, rather like asking which is the best flight sim to use, A or B!! :dunno:

Some will say Intel or others will say AMD, either way both AMD and Pentium are very good but which one is the best? Again, I'm afraid that will depend on your usage. What do you use your computer for mainly, is it gaming most of the time or occasionally. It would be best for you to have a look around the web regarding this but have given you a link for starters.

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/best-cpu-for-gaming/

I have had my computer now for about 9 months and bought from Scan, the toatal cost then was £2,112.13 out of that I got a custom built machine as had to keep the price down a bit. The main parts are:

3XS Custom 1151
Intel Core i7-9700K
32GB Memory
1GB M.2 for Windows
1GB SSD for X-Plane
1GB HHD for other games
ASUS DVD Drive
RTX 2070 *GB Graphic Card

On-Board Sound Realtek High Definition or could use the Nvidia High Definition.

I was in your position wondering whether to go AMD or Intel and decided Intel but, AMD are by (depending on the chip) cheaper and do have outstanding performance.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Buggyman
VC10
VC10

Post by Buggyman »

Thanks Nigel, that has certainly given me something to work on.

Regarding a new PC, I have discovered a 'plot' afoot. SWMBO's machine is old enough (9 years) to retire and so she is making sheep' eyes at mine.... Which makes sense as she is doing more photographic work now than ever before. So "Go on, treat yourself" translates into "Gimme your PC"

Could be worse, she could want a new one for herself :poke:

Watch this space...…….……

ATB

Allan

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

Personally I wouldn't order from any company as it is usually cheaper to build your own. I appreciate not everyone knows how but it's certainly an option and you'll get longer warranty periods on each component as opposed to 12 months or whatever you get with a shop bought effort.

I'll be up in the borders just after Christmas if you wanted a hand.

As for the Intel AMD argument, the Ryzen series from AMD has really rocked the boat. I think you'd have to be mad to buy Intel right now.
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

Buggyman
VC10
VC10

Post by Buggyman »

Thanks for the kind offer but I doubt if I will go the build it myself (with help) route or even if I will get to make a purchase any time soon. I just don't know if I can really justify spending £2 - 3000 on my flight sims until I know just what the new offering from Microsoft needs.

Just putting things off really I suppose.

ATB

Allan

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Post by chrispbits »

Allan, you could go for a partial build from a supplier such as Scan (motherboard, processor, cooler, memory) into a case of your choice and then you just add the other bits. Still a bit fiddly but all you'll be left with is installing and connecting hard drives, extra fans you may have and the video card.

Re sound - good motherboards offer very good sound these days - frankly unless you have seriously hi-fi needs on your PC a separate card is a waste of money and resources.

Chris, I've look at Intel and AMD and still lean toward Intel on the basis of better real-world gaming performance but I think I'll take another look.

Cheers,
Chris

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

One thing to note on the AMD v Intel. My apprentice in work was building a PC for himself last month. The AMD cpu was delivered to the office and he was showing me the chip. I was absolutely amazed to discover AMD are still making CPU’s with pins! I thought I’d time traveled back to 1998, but no. So if you’re building an AMD machine yourself, steady hands. Aside from that, the equivalent Intel chip to the one he bought was actually £15 less expensive when you you added the motherboard into the mix. Just a thought.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage