Going to Extremes?

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Scorpius
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Going to Extremes?

Post by Scorpius »

I use one ex flight sim PC for audio (flac files via ASUS sound card to my hifi) and another just for P3DV4.

Both PC's have now died with motherboard faults so getting a replacement is not easy. Both motherboards no longer manufactured. Cannot find a replacement for the Gigabyte GA 99 SLI for P3DV4.

Intel are better overall for the audio bits.

Nev

Scorpius
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Scorpius »

Found a bent pin on the Flightsim mothertboard so it is now running ok. Unfortunately I had to reinstall Win10 so it's time to email Lockheed for a new activation code.

Nev

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Post by chrispbits »

After much prevarication I've made a decision in the great AMD v Intel debate. All the info I have seen so far says that the Intel i7 9700k is probably the current best bang for the buck for gaming and with the recent price drop the argument for going that route was compelling. However, I also understand that the next generation of Intel processors due later this year or early 2020 won't use the same CPU sockets as the 9th gen so any future upgrade down the Intel route will also need a new motherboard.

So AMD it is. I've opted for the Ryzen 5 3600x. It's "only" a 6 core and 12 thread processor but it has a slightly higher stock (non boost) speed than the considerably more expensive 3700x and real world performance differences are negligible. I've used the money I've saved to (hopefully) good effect by investing a bit more in a decent motherboard (MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge) and also upped the RAM from 16Gb to 32Gb.

Going the AMD route should give me a bit more headroom to upgrade to a faster processor in the future without also having to change the MB (that's the theory anyway).