Joystick - Yokes.

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Joystick - Yokes.

Post by Nigel H-J »

I have been thinking for some time about changing my Logitech Extreme 3D joystick for a new one as mine is on they way out, some buttons refuse to work and overall, I am not happy with the way when flying, there is so little movement in it especially pitch wise that when flying I don't get proper feel to the aircraft without having to adjust some settings to the joystick in the response curves. However I have been looking at a few joysticks and the new Honeycomb Yoke which I am tending to lean towards as it gives a full 90 degree movement in roll which is by far much closer to the handling of an aircraft and also have watched a few videos of it but, it does not come cheap either! :-O

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alpha-Flight-C ... 808&sr=8-1

Another joystick I am thinking about is the Logitech G X56 Hotas RGB at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Webcams-VOIP ... B079Z3DSBK

Hopefully there will be some deals with Black Friday or Cyber Monday but just wonder what your thoughts are of the Logitech G X56. Does it give more travel than the Logitech Extreme? One point regarding the Logitech is that it has a lot more buttons to play with but as for the throttles........ I already have a throttle quadrant with six levers!

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Joystick - Yokes.

Post by Charlie Bravo »

I was saying to a friend of mine about this very subject the other day. There seems to be a gap on the market for a good quality stick / stick with throttle that isn't meant for military sim use.

I fly with a Thrustmaster T Flight HOTAS X stick which looks more civil than military but isn't exactly oozing quality. I have looked at the Logitech sticks before, but they were carried over from Saitek who didn't have a great reputation for reliability. Logitech claimed to have changed the troublesome components but I don't believe the sticks are completely trouble free.

Two other options to consider... the VKB Gladiator II or something from Virpil.

:cheers:
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Nigel, I'm also in the market for a yoke, and at the Flight Sim Show at Cosford earlier this month, I got to try out two new ones - the Honeycomb one, as shown in your first link, and this one:

https://www.fulcrumsim.com/

The Honeycomb one was okay, but felt a bit on the cheap side. It was also very stiff in the pitch axis, and even after only a few minutes, my arms were starting to strain a little. On the other hand it's got all those switches to hand, which is a big selling point. The guys there said there was still some polishing to do, so maybe they'll slacken the spring tension while they're at it.

The Fulcrumsim one was much more solid - the yoke wheel itself is cast aluminium - and the spring settings made it much less effort to use, too. It also uses real aviation-grade switches and buttons, making it more durable. Another good feature is that the yoke wheel itself can be detached from the shaft and in time, Fulcrum are going to release a Boeing style wheel which will plug straight on. I asked about the possibility of a vintage DC-3 wheel, and that too is being considered.

The main drawback is the price - it's going to be on sale for about £460, whereas the Honeycomb unit is over £200 cheaper.

Everyone I spoke to agreed that the Fulcrumsim yoke is better, and they included a certain high-end developer from the USA, whose identity I shall not reveal because he might not want me quoting him. Paul Frimston ( our very own Delta558 ) had a go, and I think he liked it. If he sees this thread, maybe he can add to it. Yes, it's a fair bit more expensive, but I think it's good value for money. It's supposed to on sale before Christmas.
Last edited by Paul K on 20 Oct 2019, 23:20, edited 2 times in total.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Logitech claimed to have changed the troublesome components but I don't believe the sticks are completely trouble free.

Two other options to consider... the VKB Gladiator II or something from Virpil.
Hi Chris, yes that is what I have heard but thinking about it more and having viewed the other joysticks you mentioned as well as looking at some videos they seem to have about the same travel or just a bit more than the one I own. Having said that, my feeling is to go for a yoke so will have some more You Tube reviews to look up as well as sites such as PC Gamer.
The main drawback is the price - it's going to be on sale for about £460, whereas the Honeycomb unit is over £200 cheaper.
Yikes!! :-O Now that is to be honest, is quite out of my range Paul. It sounds to be very good and would only be able to consider that sort of price if I won a bit on the lottery!! :lol:

I have heard that Honeycomb are going to release a second edition which will follow very soon so that may include releasing some of the pitch spring tension. This is a review I watched from X Plane devs:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt445JpMWes

I really like the sound of the Fulcrumsim Yoke but as wriiten earlier........Just a tad too much! :(

Regards
Nigel.

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

I replaced my Saitel X52 with a Russian ( no collusion whatsoever ) the VKB Gladiator II https://vkbcontrollers.com/?product=vkb-sim-gladiator It is very high quality and made from old T52 tanks I am guessing.
Alex

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Thanks for the info Alex, must say it is interesting but as previously written I think I need a change from using a joystick to having a yoke, mind you, with the way aircraft cockpits are being designed in a few years I might even consider a side yoke!! :lol:

Regards
Nigel.

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

Sell the house, the wife, the car, whatever it takes...

http://www.simujabs.com/index.php/compo ... l?Itemid=0

:lol: :lol: :lol:
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

OMG!! :-O Chris, what are you trying to do to me, I'd get hung drawn and quartered by the wife if I got that and my entrails would be fed to the birds!! :hide:

But wouldn't that be something......Me to the wife:

" I know it wasn't exactly cheap but it will really work a lot better than my Logitech in X-Plane 11 and better still once the cockpit section arrives which should be............!!!! :lol:

Regards
Nigel.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Got the green light from Babs for the Honeycomb Yoke, I will be buying towards the end of November to beginning of December. Doubt very much if this would come into the Black Friday or Cyber Monday deals but am keeping my eyes open just in case.

I have to admit that I was very tempted towards the Fulcrum that Paul wrote about but the price is/will be a tad too much for me wallet!! :lol:

Regard
Nigel.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Great stuff Nigel. Within the price bracket, I think you've taken the best value-for-money option. Looking forward to hearing how you get on with it.