Replacing Dos based NAV6 and Final50 in Windows 10

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Replacing Dos based NAV6 and Final50 in Windows 10

Post by cstorey »

Now I have converted to Windows 10 ( more complicated than any real aeroplane I flew ! ) I find that my dos based NAV6 and FINAL50 programmes, which still worked in Windows XP, no longer work and although I have tried an emulator I still cannot make them work

Please can anyone suggest any replacements ( preferably freeware) which will work with a modern OS . The FINAL50 was particularly useful with a wide range of approach plates which could be printed off

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Replacing Dos based NAV6 and Final50 in Windows 10

Post by Nigel H-J »

If it is a freeware navigation planner you are after then I highly recommend Littlenavmap, has everything you need and what is more it is freeware!

https://albar965.github.io/littlenavmap.html

Hope this helps.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

Nigel - thank you for that, it is a splendid resource . Unfortunately it will not link to FS9. Sod's Law again !

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Just had a look to see if there is a way around to use it with FS9 . The author of Littlenavmap had written in answering another users query that FS9 does not have a simconnect and therefore would require too much work to make it viable.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

Dave G.

paulsl
Trident
Trident

Post by paulsl »

Thanks for this tip Dave. I've been using LittleNavMap but struggling with it to be honest. It's very powerful and complex and much too much for my simple needs. Not to cause any angst, let me stress that it's me that's deficient not LittleMapNav.

I tried Plan-G and it's much more approachable and appropriate for me. It took a while to get going hence this reply.

The Plan-G manual implies that with the programs (Plan-G and X-Plane) on the same machine you only need to move XPUIPC.xpl into the plugins folder. This is not the case and various permutations of xpl files didn't work. The solution that I found was simply to move the whole XPUIPC folder into plugins. This worked for me so I'm a happy little vegemite.

Paul

X-Plane 11.35, Plan-G 3.2.1 and XPUIPC 2.0.5.9
It's not a 'bird', it's an aeroplane or an aircraft :rant: