The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

5G

Post by Airspeed »

There has been talk that 5G could revolutionise online data transfer for simmers.
There has also been mention that some games will not even be considered for Australian release due to our slow connections.
Just to toss more obstacles into the mix:
https://www.aspistrategist.org.au/how-c ... big%20tech

:doh: :help:

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Re: 5G

Post by Vancouver »

Blimey I'm still on semaphore..... :lol:
Alex

emfrat
Concorde
Concorde
Location: 50 DME West of Brisbane, Ugarapul and Kitabul country in Sunny Qld

Post by emfrat »

Airspeed wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 10:55
There has been talk that 5G could revolutionise online data transfer for simmers.
It certainly will, in terms of bandwidth requirements, which will increase massively when everything has to come down from the cloud each time you want to use it, and then go up there again when you finish. Nice little earner for the telcos.

For some years now, I have been using wireless mobile broadband, because it is completely portable - no three-day wait for your provider to get off its backside and re-assign your ADSL or NBN connections. Recently, I upgraded my plan from 80GB/month to 100GB/month and also replaced the 4G wireless modem with a 5G one. This increased my monthly bill from AUD124.00 to AUD127.40, which suits me fine.
The 4G modem would step back to 3G or even 2G as required. Even at 3G, I could watch stuff like the GAA Hurling Final streaming online. 4G was noticeably quicker, and when 4GX became available a couple of years ago, things were faster and smoother still. I don't expect 5G to reach this neck of the woods for another couple of years, but the new modem runs 4GX better than the old one, and if I want, I can stick it in my pocket when I go to the big city (which does have 5G) and tether my tablet to it.
So I don't see much point in getting an NBN connection, even though the NBN cabling is just across the road in front of my house. Nor do I see any point in using cloud-based stuff when physical storage (on hard drives, and SSDs) is getting cheaper every day. Beware the Bandwidthsnatch, my son ! :OB:
MikeW :cheers:

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Trying very hard to keep politics out of this thread but Labour have said that if elected they would give every-one here free fast broadband for every household.............Talk about a white elephant!!

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

After this election, I'm going to start a petition to make election manifestos legally binding, under threat of prosecution. Lets see how many new hospitals and free broadband connections they promise then.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

They’re all as bad as each other. What we need is a monarchy 😂
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »