Need Help with VR

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Need Help with VR

Post by Nigel H-J »

Got my Oculus Rift s and have to say that being inside an aircraft is something e mind blowing but..........everything is out of focus, cannot mout the airspeed and looking out of the window is like putting your yes right up to the TV screen and seeing the dots also out of focus. Have tried everything to correct this without any luck, unless I can find a way round this I may very well have to send it back. I have used it wearing glasses and without, even the text is or appears to be out of focus as well.

Any help gratefully welcomed.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Need Help with VR

Post by Charlie Bravo »

Just had a quick Google and it seems quite a few users have the same issue.
I've only had a very quick look but it seems to come down to how the headset is worn.

Sorry I can't be of any more help mate.
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

I know with the original rift there is very much a "sweet spot", where you have to get the headset positioned just right, but I thought that was improved on the s. You can try increasing the sampling, you can use "oculus tray tool" to do that but it will impact your frame rate if you crank it too high. It's never going to be as clear as a flat monitor though.
Dave G.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi chaps and thanks for your inputs, tried RFactor2 racing and Dirt Rally they were an experience in VR I can tell you, really want to get something sorted out though and still not sure if it the headset or me!! :dunno:

The graphics in both the above were acceptable bearing in mind that the games are getting on a bit but is it normal whatever sim you are on to see pix-elation through the headset? and do other VR's are other VR's the same? The reason I ask is that when viewing YouTube Videos of X plane 11 through the lens the only thing that is apparent is when looking at far off objects, there are no pixels present or are they not picked up in the recordings?

Once I can sort out the problem of cutting down the pixels I am over half way of solving the view issues.

Regards
Nigel.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Have tried everything I can with the Oculus Rift S but still only getting 20fps and if I drop the settings any lower then it would be a waste of time TBH, not maxed out by any stretch, it works well in Dirt Rally and rFactor 2 but now I have had enough of trying to get it to give decent frame rates in X-Plane 11 so much so I am going to take it back for a refund, the visual quality is terrible and cannot find a way round this.

Really a shame as being sat in the cockpit was really an experience but having spent £400 it is a sad waste of money.

Regards
Nigel.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

What Graphics card are you running Nigel? I don't know much about these things, but driving what is in effect 2 mini monitor shouldn't put much load on.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Ben, I have a RTX 2070 Nvidia card which should by any standards run a VR headset.

I have now boxed it up and will be returning it to Argos,I purchased it on Monday and have spent the last four days trying to get the best from it but unfortunately my patience and perseverance have melted down to a big zero, had even watched you tube videos and followed the advice and when starting rFactor 2 my screen then started blinking, like the comedy series Little Britain my computer says no!! :wall:

I don't think I will ever go back to VR now as my experience has put me off it totally. Sorry for the rant but I feel really gutted! :(

Regards
Nigel.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Thats the same card that I have and yes, it should easily manage. i'm just wondering if you've got a faulty product? Never fancied it myself, but I can see the appeal.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

I have thought about that myself Ben, being in the cockpit is something I cannot describe but putting it this way flying the MD80 I went to put one of the hand controllers onto the top of the coaming above the instrument panel and when it went through it I had to lift off the VR headset to make sure that it went onto the desk!! :lol:

I am still gutted and will be for quite some time but alas no help from other Forums so just given up on it.

Regards
Nigel.