DYMO Labelwriter 450

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Buggyman
VC10
VC10

DYMO Labelwriter 450

Post by Buggyman »

I have had this machine for several years and it does make life easier around Christmas card time. It worked flawlessly until November when - I'm pretty sure - a fairly major Windows 10 update happened. From that time on Writer insists on printing labels in portrait i.e. sideways which means it prints over 2 labels.

I have tried Dymo for updates, trawled the net looking for answers and not found anything that returns the writer to its old self. From what I can see this is not confined to my set up. I have even tried installing it on the back-up PC with the same results. To make matters worse I decided to bite the bullet and replace it with a similar machine from Brother - disaster, it wouldn't even work on my PC.

So, any original thoughts out there? And, yes, I have tried pen and paper but it does not help arthritic fingers. :poke:

As ever, any help would be appreciated.

ATB

Allan

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Re: DYMO Labelwriter 450

Post by Airspeed »

G'day Allan,
I'm not actually familiar with these machines, so I looked them up.
The drivers I found listed for Australia include the 450, 450 Turbo, 450 Dual, 450 Dual Turbo.
This makes me wonder whether you may have updated to a version that doesn't exactly match your model. :dunno:

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Allan, we use these in work and they are still working fine after the windows updates. I’ll check which drivers we’re using on Monday and let you know.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Buggyman
VC10
VC10

Post by Buggyman »

Thank you Mike and Ben. I have checked and double checked that the downloads I got from the Dymo support site were the real deal. There was a posting on the web - didn't make a note - that gave a work around which indicated that this was not an isolated case.

Why would it work fine for years and then go rogue? No, I haven't been fiddling with the magic stuff under the bonnet - there would be a cloud of smoke overhead if I had :lol:

I will have another hunt myself this evening but I don't hold out any real hope of finding the answer. Be interesting to see if there were any hiccups on your work ones Ben.

ATB

Allan

Buggyman
VC10
VC10

Post by Buggyman »

Took pity on the machine sitting in the corner waiting to go to the recycle bin, Did a completely new install by the book but did not hold out much hope.

Well, I don't know what, how or why but the damn thing worked first time as advertised on the tin :excited: Over the past few weeks I had tried everything to get it to work but not a full reinstall so that's down to me. But what I don't understand is what went wrong in the first place. One theory I have - backed up by a similar victim on t'net - is that the program was set at 'portrait' for printing but the actual setting in the printer management was set at landscape. Whatever it was, I have saved the thick end of a hundred squid in buying a replacement.

Thanks folks for the helpful advice, as ever it is much appreciated.

Here's to the next big rush for Christmas 202. Did I really say that? :worried:

ATB

Allan