FSX load time shortened

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Re: FSX load time shortened

Post by Vc Ten »

Hi Mike I think I would be more bothered why you are getting 3 or 4 potential infections a week Where are they coming from and why are they getting through your firewall? What are your browser settings ? Is someone hacking your ip, or is it SM is giving you false positives just to make you think its doing something useful?
Personally I've not used a third party virus / system manager since the days of XP I put my trust in my router and windows firewall. Windows Defender has never indicated an infection in the last 12 years of win 7 and win 10
I am in the fortunate position that my simulator pc is only used for flight sim. Its not used for email, browsing or any downloads, and is only connected to the Web for FSA client and I suppose Windows updates. I use another pc for downloading which I then upload to my NAS drive, before transferring to the simulator. All my "late night" browsing or any other time for that matter, is done with an android tablet As far as I know any infection to the tablet (not that I've ever had one) can't be transfered to a pc on the network, they are not switched on anyway, although I stand to be corrected😜
Dale
Image Image Image

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Charlie Bravo wrote:
10 Feb 2020, 10:38
And that is why BitDefender is better.

I didn't realise that system optimisation software was still a thing in 2020?
Anyway, I'll only repeat what Ben has already said so...
Charlie, I'm seeing "Image" instead of a picture; do I need to put a graphics card in to see your picture? :hide:

OK, I'm suitably chastised, PLUS I've learnt a few things. :$ :)
When I first asked about buying more RAM, replies on here suggested that you can always use more RAM. Maybe my original 6 was not slowing me down.

Hi Dale, thanks.
Windows Firewall is always on (except as mentioned above) I guess hackings may have been interpreted as attempted infections.
The "attempted infections" come through roaming data or something similar. I DID have someone hacking me; found one of my connections was an LG mobile. and I've never owned an LG. I've suspected for a while that that is why I've been blacklisted on here a few times. My provider "couldn't help" with this matter. :|
I would love to separate my sim from my browsing computer. :agree:

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

No graphics card required, just a one off payment directly into my account and you will see a picture of your choosing.
Anything that may result in my CBFS account being suspended, will require a higher payment. 😁
Well there is a Vulcan coming to X-Plane you know 😋

I'm just very against so called system optimisation software (because that in itself uses resources to run) and free/cheap anti virus software.
There's a chap called Martin Lewis who runs a very successful money saving website. A lot of what he says is very good but when he appeared on TV one day and said stop paying for anti virus software and just download AVG, I lost a lot of respect for him.
I've had to deal with a friend's PC before that had AVG installed and it was riddled with a whole host of things that had slipped through AVG's net.
Whilst many think the likes of AVG, Avast and Windows Defender are great, just remember they aren't going to give you a pop up saying 'oops, missed that one'.
Just because it hasn't detected anything doesn't mean it's doing it's job.

Anyway, enjoy your PC and don't worry about how much RAM you've got left. Windows will handle that accordingly.

Rgds
Chris
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.