A curse on W10

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

A curse on W10

Post by hobby »

I have a new computer fitted with Windows 10. To my surprise I found that this excellent machine has no disk drive. I also find that DVDs are regarded as legacy ware these days hence no drives are fitted to computers.

I bought an external DVD drive which the seller told me just to plug in and the whole ensemble would work. It doesn't!

W10 does not recognise the external DVD player and I can't work out, despite watching some videos, how to make the system recognise the external DVD player.

Can any of our IT experts help here please? Perhaps someone has recently had the same problem.

Perhaps it might be best if any answers came by PM.

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: A curse on W10

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Mate,

External DVD’s should just plug and play on Windows 10 (and Windows 7 for that matter) so it sounds like it’s faulty. The only other thing I can suggest is try a different USB port. Often some are blue in colour (on the computer) and some are black. Try it in both types (one is legacy USB 1, the black) and the blue is the later USB 2/3 standard (as a rule of thumb anyway.

What type of computer is it? It may be possible to get an internal drive for it, even if it’s a slimline one.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

Post by hobby »

The new computer is a Scan Computers 3xs FSX model specifically designed for flight simulation and able to accommodate 64 bit games.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

It should definitely accommodate an internal drive then, although how they can advertise it as an FSX edition without a means to install FSX is interesting. Let me know how you get on trying the USB DVD drive in different ports.

Do you have the make / model of the DVD drive?

If you’re still having problems with it PM me your details and I’ll send you a working one, I’ve a few here and I can always test it before popping it in the post.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

I don't remember if I mentioned this before:
I booted my machine as W10. When I tried to register FSX with my valid code, it was rejected.