P3D UNEXPLAINED CTD

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Buggyman
VC10
VC10

P3D UNEXPLAINED CTD

Post by Buggyman »

Recently my MB had to be replaced which was done on site by a local freelance techie. Up to the failure of the old MB, P3D had been working normally albeit going into freeze-frame mode or slide show occasionally.

So the new MB was installed and with it the CTDs. What happens is; every facet of the flight is fine BUT if I want to have a look at the Logbook or flight analysis then I get a black screen which hangs from a few seconds to several minutes before dumping me TD. I have tried using AppCrash to find out what is causing the problem but the event is not being logged!

I have reinstalled P3D and all my add-ons which is mostly ORBX scenery - testing each install and then doing a PC restart before installing the next scenery. All this is fine, the scenery is good with good FPS and the PC shows no sign of strain.

I have tried the forum on Flightsim.com without success so, any ideas?

As ever, any help would be appreciated and the negatives WILL be destroyed on receipt of a successful solution :lol:

ATB

Allan

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Re: P3D UNEXPLAINED CTD

Post by Charlie Bravo »

Hi mate,

What motherboard did you go from and to? If they had different chipsets, your old drivers could well be causing an issue.
I've certainly never replaced a motherboard without reinstalling Windows but that's just me.
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

Buggyman
VC10
VC10

Post by Buggyman »

Hi Charlie Bravo, the original MB was a ASUS PRIME X299-A ATX. It was replaced by the II version of the same MB which had a minor difference to the original. As to reinstalling Windows; my techie told me there was no need and seeing as everything except P3D is working fine I can't see the need to do a reinstall.

ATB

Allan

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

Ah ok, yes same chipset. I presume all of your drivers are up to date? May also be worth checking everything is seated properly on the board... even the best of us miss something on occasion.

Buggyman
VC10
VC10

Post by Buggyman »

Yup, everything was checked and double checked mainly because we found that the original build was - to be blunt - pretty bad.

It has to be something in P3D, I just hope its not another reinstall...…… :poke:

ATB

Allam

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

Does it happen in any other games at all? Just to double check, has the GPU power lead definitely been plugged back in to the graphics card?

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Post by adysmith »

Do you use GSX?

A friend had a problem with P3D (specifically V3 with FSLabs Concorde) which caused CTD with nothing in event viewer.

It was eventually traced to a GSX issue which had caused it:-
When I uninstalled GSX it showed a message saying a couple of files had reverted to the default ones. I'm wondering if those might be the cause of the CTDs. Enroute down the North Sea now so should have the answer in 30 mins or so.

Clearly deactivating GSX (Couatl) did not remove those files which is all important ... possibly. Fingers crossed.
ImageImage
Old pilots never die, they just run out of runway.

Buggyman
VC10
VC10

Post by Buggyman »

So far as I can see all cables are attached at both ends. To ask me about a specific cable is about the same as asking me to do a heart by-pass operation.

GSX? What is that? A quick query on line sent me to motorcycles.

Sorry to be negative but I haven't a clue about the fitting of wires/cables - you are dealing with a technophobe when wiring comes into play. That said I can just about install HD/SSDs but that's my techie limit. :doh:

My other games are IL-2, TSW, Aero Fly FS 2 and Flight Sim World all of which seem to be working OK.

Allan