Re: What's your favourite flightsim?

Post by chrispbits »

I have...
X-Plane 11
P3D v5
Aerofly FS2
DCS
IL-2 Sturmovik

Trouble is I also have Battlefield 1, 3 and 4 as well as World of Tanks and World of Warships.

I generally fly X-Plane and also P3D v5 now and a little bit of AFS2 but I usually get about 3 hours a week play time and it's a struggle to fit in any meaningful time on any one simulator. Anything else and my learning curve has a learning curve. Must arrange things so I can play more!

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

FSX is probably the one I enjoy most now... its like a little snapshot in time with the ScotFlight anf the GenX stuff I love it and most of the old aircraft from FS9 work well. I like being able to fly VFR or if I'm flying IFR, be able to see roads etc as they really are from 10,000 feet. I like being able to spot airfields that aren't in use, or the remnants of them from decades ago. You cant do that with Orbx. Its great at what it is, but it isn't real (for me).
Maybe you can't with ORBX in FSX Ben but you can with True Earth UK!! I really enjoy flying around old airfields from the Second World War to see what they look like now and had during the 1970's actually flown over a few but fifty years on even these old airfields have changed dramatically. The one's in the screenshot are of RAF Fiskerton and it was in 1976/77 when driving for BRS Lincoln I went onto the airfield which was having parts of the runway dug up for use on a new bypass on the A158. So sad to see that but from the pictures this is all that is left.

One Screenshot below taken in Google Earth and the other taken in X-Plane 11. Unfortunately not exactly aligned with the other picture but you can see the outlines of the old runways in the grass.

X-Plane 11

Google Earth

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Is True Earth a a photo real product? I've never heard of it other than a few posts here. What areas does it cover?
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Ben, True Earth UK is made up of aerial imagery taken in 2018 I think, so it is very nearly up-to-date. Have a look at the key features from TE UK. It has certainly improved my flying experience and have also flown over my bungalow!! :lol:

Covers the whole of the UK including all those little islands just off Scotland.
Hope this helps.

https://orbxdirect.com/product/gbr-central-xp11

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

They don't seem to have a coverage map? Or am I missing something. :worried:

ImageImageImage

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

It's a huge improvement over GenX in my opinion. Here's the RA Spit over the Newcastle area in P3dv5

The autogen can be a bit generic and cities (especially London) are a bit of a frame rate hog.
Note, it doesn't include Northern Ireland. England Wales and Scotland only.
Dave G.

DogTailRed2
Concorde
Concorde

Post by DogTailRed2 »

What's it like in VR Dave?

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

DogTailRed2 wrote:
24 Apr 2020, 14:30
What's it like in VR Dave?
Orbx TE, or P3dv5 in general?
Dave G.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Can you switch off the Auto Gen Dave? And does it use that funny Orbx installer thing or does it work like normal scenery? It does look good, but I'm guessing it would mean things like Scotflight, UK2000 etc would all need updating? I seem to recall years ago, that Orbx had a nasty habit of breaking things that weren't built for "it" even if they were build for the sim.

ImageImageImage

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

I think the only way to switch off the autogen would be with P3d autogen sliders. *-)
They do still use their own installer (Orbx Central). It does still tend to "take over", but probably not as bad as in the past. If the scenery library is layered correctly it should be OK, but you may need to manually remove the files for some of the Orbx airfields if you get conflicts.
Dave G.