Missing Gen-X Scenery

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DogTailRed2
Concorde
Concorde

Missing Gen-X Scenery

Post by DogTailRed2 »

Two areas I'm missing from my Gen-X scenery.

Northern Ireland
Jersey

NI was never released iirc. What about Jersey?

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: Missing Gen-X Scenery

Post by TSR2 »

Jersey was never released either if I recall. *-)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

DogTailRed2
Concorde
Concorde

Post by DogTailRed2 »

TSR2 wrote:
24 Apr 2020, 11:16
Jersey was never released either if I recall. *-)
That's good in a way as it means I have everything.
Thanks.

DogTailRed2
Concorde
Concorde

Post by DogTailRed2 »

Just thought I would throw this open to see if anyone has cracked it and for info.

Seems there were four flavours of Earth Sims scenery.
Download only. These will be ignored as no longer possible and I don't have any (I lost mine which was annoying).
CD Version without online verification. Seems to apply to the main scenery areas like UK, Wales, Scotland and Ireland. These install fine with the key.
CD version with online verification which defaults to local without internet. Seems to apply to treescapes only. All install by unplugging your internet connection with valid key.
CD version with online verification only. Applies to Isle of Scilly, Guernsey and Alderney. I have these three discs with serial but they are effectively coasters as it's impossible to bypass the verification even with a serial. These can be extracted with 7-Zip but appear impossible to get working with P3D4 perhaps due to the complexity of the new `3D scenery`. I assume these are probably not viable with V.4.

Does anyone have the full 3D install working on V4.5 (or V4). Trying to ascertain if there is any point trying to get these to work?

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

DogTailRed2 wrote:
08 May 2020, 09:31
Does anyone have the full 3D install working on V4.5 (or V4). Trying to ascertain if there is any point trying to get these to work?
Yes, I have it in 4.5 (I think).
George

DogTailRed2
Concorde
Concorde

Post by DogTailRed2 »

GHD wrote:
08 May 2020, 09:42
DogTailRed2 wrote:
08 May 2020, 09:31
Yes, I have it in 4.5 (I think).
I assume then that the installer does something significant with the files or maybe downloads missing things?
I can extract all the data using 7-Zip including the scenery.xml data.
Fooling the installer to rebuild the descriptors fails with a guid error for some reason?
The only thing that is impossible is getting the installer to extract the data into a correct folder structure. Guessing what this is just results in lots of P3D hangups.

Does anyone know if you just place all the bgl's in scenery and everything else in texture that it should work?
I have several bgl's that just cause the sim to hang. :dunno:

Annoyingly I have a nice freeware download of Guernsey and Alderney but it seems to have several black tiles within. :wall:

I wish P3D would implement correct error handling with logging on scenery load.