FSX SE Continual crashing on starting

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

FSX SE Continual crashing on starting

Post by hobby »

I made a mistake yesterday ,probably while trying to install TacPac. The upshot of that error means that whenever I start FSX SE the program crashes immediately. Other people have suffered the same problem and there seem to be numerous cures on the internet - none of which have worked for me!

One solution seems to be to uninstall FSX SE and to re-install that program from scratch! Ouch! There's so much scenery, aircraft and AI stuff that would take days to uninstall and re-install. I'd like to avoid that course of action

I've tried using the STEAM website at which I found that FSX SE was running continually and despite using the STOP button provided that program just keeps on running.

Can a forum member help? I really don't want to have to reinstall the basic FSX SE program. I don't know where to find the game cache or the log BIN both of which appear in internet solutions.

AllanL
Concorde
Concorde

Re: FSX SE Continual crashing on starting

Post by AllanL »

There is a "Verify integrity of game files" option in Steam.

You need to right click on FSX in the library list, go to properties, then under local files there is the check option.

Whether that helps is another matter!

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

Re: FSX SE Continual crashing on starting

Post by hobby »

Last evening, I became fed up with endless attempts to correct the continuous running of FSX SE so I again deleted TacPac and Rob's Sea Hawk prior to putting my CCleaner to work in solving two registry problems, clearing all unnecessary files and giving my computer a thorough optimisation.

Much to my relief when I next turned on FSX SE the whole system had returned to normal - I did a complete circuit and ILS approach at Southend (EGMC) in a default Cessna with no apparent problems. More flights later today I hope.

I was surprised when reading the TacPac manual to find that:

a) TacPac must be installed in FSX SE before any TacPac aircraft are added.

b) TacPac also write that any installed TacPac aircraft should not be flown with TacPac switched off.

I still have not worked out how to switch TacPac using the "prompt" system.

I enjoy flying Rob's Sea Hawk so for the present I shall re-install that acft. in my FSX SE setup.

I'd like to hear from any forum members experienced in the use of TacPac, they may be able to pass on tips regarding installation and operation together with naming any aircraft that work well with FSX SE. Having bought the program I don't wish to immediately bin it.

I run FSX SE on my "D" Drive.