UNUSUAL TEXTURES AND LOW FPS IN P3D

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Buggyman
VC10
VC10

UNUSUAL TEXTURES AND LOW FPS IN P3D

Post by Buggyman »

I'm running an i9-9980 with 32 GB RAM and an RTX 2080. Should literally fly but it aint. The problem is that with 30fps set I can drop to 8 or less just flying over open countryside. An additional niggle is that sometimes when going from internal to external shots the fuselage of the aircraft shows up matte black or chrome silver. This happens on added aircraft - I rarely fly the built in ones. Start up takes about 2 minutes as the PC loads up the textures.

I'm running an all ORBX system but not TE which kills my fps. The problem is predominant when flying over the UK/Europe, I don't get anything like the fps drop when in USA or Australia/NZ. In fact when in the latter zones the fps is fine.

It has not always been like this but has happened over a period of weeks. I am not running with everything maxed out but the machine (PC) seems to struggle at times and goes into a pause. At this time the Task Manager is showing the PSU in the red and the CPU running at 98% BUT the GPU unit hardly showing barely 2 - 5%. I have not tinkered with the workings, being too thick to understand what I'm doing :lol:

One thing I have notice is a flag pops up on initial start up telling me I have "GeForce Experience" installed - whatever that is :worried: Also in Task Manager the CPU is shown as 3.0 GHz even under the heavy loads described. The CPU is rated as 3 - 4.2 GHz using Intel Turbo Boost Max, this loads up every time I switch on the PC and is directed to P3D but I have yet to see any evidence of it doing anything.

Finally, in FS2 and Flight Sim World there is no evidence of any of the above problems, even XP runs OK :dunno:

Phew! So many questions, as ever I would be grateful for any suggestions/guidance.

ATB

Allan

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Re: UNUSUAL TEXTURES AND LOW FPS IN P3D

Post by Vc Ten »

Think I'd try deleting Generated files and shaders first before anything drastic.
Ge force experience is the nvidia program for updating video driver ( among other more useless things)
Not sure about how you control you turbo boost. There's usually software that comes with the motherboard. I clock my cpu in the bios
Dale
Image Image Image

Buggyman
VC10
VC10

Post by Buggyman »

Thanks Dale. Tonight's flight cut short with 4fps and then a 'Not Responding' message followed by a CTD. Very annoying.
Generated files and shaders

Where are they kept please.

ATB

Allan

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Delete generated files is in the root directory of P3d. It deletes P3d config. (amongst others) So you start afresh default senario all setting to default. If you have any config tweaks, you will need to put them back after you restart.
Shaders is in C: users, yourname, App Data, Local, Lockheed Martin, Prepar3d v5
Just delete the whole folder and it will be rebuilt next time you run
Dale
Image Image Image

Buggyman
VC10
VC10

Post by Buggyman »

Thank you Dale.

Done that and am now reinstalling the ORBX textures. Not as bad as it sounds as the actual files are stored in a library away from P3D so the job is just to re-link P3D to the files. Certainly no problems so far with fps but its early days.

Will update you later on.

Allan

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Remember to run P3d once before you add any add-ons
A lot recommend to rebuild shaders every time you add any addon
I don't, I just do it when I think it's getting a bit sluggish
Dale
Image Image Image

Buggyman
VC10
VC10

Post by Buggyman »

I have run P3D after each install and then done a PC reboot. So far everything is working fine with rock steady fps BUT when I change locations I get "Non Sequential Layer Ordering" placard with the offer of sorting it automatically. It does not appear to do anything averse as everything continues as normal. But it comes up every time I use the Navigate facility. Any ideas?

At the mo all my ORBX files are loaded and everything is fine in my PC World.

ATB

Allan

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Never had that message myself Allan I think it's probably something to do with orbx insertion point Googling suggests that most of the time the auto resorting seems to fix it
Dale
Image Image Image

Buggyman
VC10
VC10

Post by Buggyman »

After installing most of the ORBYX scenery things didn't seem right. Methinks there is a fault in the base P3D so this morning I have bitten the bullet, uninstalled P3D, and am in the process of downloading a new copy of the file from LM and will spend the rest of the day reinstalling everything - again. Up until this weekend I still had most of my hair, after this I won't have any left but on the bright side all I will need in the future is a quick spray of Pledge and a wipe with a duster :lol:

Meanwhile back on the funny farm...…….

Allan

Buggyman
VC10
VC10

Post by Buggyman »

So... ready? Then I'll begin.

I uninstalled P3D, downloaded a fresh copy from LM and installed it. Same problem after adding ORBX global. Still 'Sequential layer...'. On to LM Forum and this is not a new problem, goes back to 2018 - the LM answer is to get a freeware prog and fix it yourself. Strikes me as a bit like buying a new car, finding a fault and the dealer saying "Oh yes, we know about that, why not go to Fred's shack, he has a magic screwdriver you can borrow.." Not on, but that's my little rant over :rant:

So, I did try the ORBX forum but it seems everyone is a happy chap and any faults are other peoples making. In other words - no joy.

Back to the PC and this time I uninstalled ORBX. Cured that problem but there were small grey patches - like gaps in the scenery. Not big enough to make a difference but once you saw them they bugged you. These patches are just about everywhere I went, UK, Australia, New Zealand, America. This is with the base P3D scenery remember.

So I uninstalled again and this time I totally removed any vestige of v5 by reformatting the HD - drastic but... So I then installed the base again. Actually the base scenery isn't that bad BUT those grey patches are there! How, why or what? Obviously ORBYX overwrites them but it still bugs me and, again, no help from LM.

I don't think there is an answer but then again I have been wrong before - married 50 years right?

If anyone has the faintest idea what's going on I would like to share any info you have.

Cheers

Allan

To add to the above XP died on me this evening, won't load up, probably bin it as I only ever use it occasionally :OT: .