Joystick Query

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Joystick Query

Post by chrispbits »

Does anyone here have the Seitek (now Logitech) x56 stick and throttle combo? And if you do what do you think of it?

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Joystick Query

Post by Vancouver »

I have an X-52 which is almost identical and it is now approaching 16 years old still functioning very well.
Alex

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

I've got the Logitech Extreme 3D pro, its about 10 years old & very happy with it. A lot better than my previous stick which I thought was a Saitek!
Keith

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I’ve the X52 pro. The throttle is great, the stick I hate. The spring can’t be adjusted and movements from the centre aren’t smooth. I use the x52 throttle with my sidewinder FF2, which still IMHO is much better than anything else I’ve had. I’ve not flown that many aircraft but none of them spring back to centre. They’ll tend to level off, but I just find all of the sticks with a spring in the base completely unnatural.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

The only stick I've come across (& thats not many) the best one is the ATA or Maidenhead museums Spitfire cockpit - the stick is almost real in movement & very well spring loaded. My old Saitek became very sloppy & sticky, but the logitech is not too bad. I think the Airbus sticks have no movement at all, they are just force sensors....any one confirm that?
My recent flip in a Condor was very different to joysticks - finger & thumb only needed & very little throw & force needed, not as I remember Tigers, Austers Chipmunks & Proctors were like.
Keith

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Post by chrispbits »

Thanks for the responses. The X56 has adjustable tension in the spring through using one of three variants (I think) or no spring at all. I agree that any strongly centering stick is a no-no. The X56 appears to be well reviewed aside from comments on build quality.

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

TSR2 wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 09:57
I use the x52 throttle with my sidewinder FF2
I do that too but with my VKB joystick which has the build quality of a Warthog but at a fraction of the cost. It is Russian of course which seems to put some folk off, but rest assured it is very robust, I think it was made from old T-52 tanks. OMG you could commit a murder with it. :lol:
Alex

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Post by chrispbits »

Hi Alex, are the stick and throttled coupled? I also have the VKB and robust it certainly is but a separate throttle quadrant would add that extra but of functionality and flexibility.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

The throttle connects to the PC via a standard USB, but the stick then daisy chains into the throttle using a mini DIN connector (which is daft as from what I can tell, they just use the DIN connector instead of a USB plug). But on the X52, its fine, you just don't connect the stick. So the X52 throttle is connected by USB and the Sidewinder (or other stick of your choosing) also connects directly to the PC on USB.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Post by chrispbits »

Thanks Ben. Not that it's easy to get a throttle only at the moment. I could get one on eBay for £999. :-O Apparently space games and MSFS are to blame.