FSX Hawker Hunter - split screens is it possible?

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

T6flyer
VC10
VC10

FSX Hawker Hunter - split screens is it possible?

Post by T6flyer »

Hello,

Well, been sometime since have been here, but nice to be back. If you remember, I was a few years ago, building replica Spitfires in Cornwall, but that all stopped, and am now employed by the Cornwall Aviation Heritage Museum down at Newquay. We used to run a FSX based Hawker Hunter simulator with Dave Garwood's Hunters. This proved popular, with the budding pilot enduring an 8min flight out of Newquay, down to St. Ives, over to Falmouth, St. Austell and then back into St. Mawgan. This year, unfortunately, due to covid this wasn't feasible, but next year we hope as a start to get it up and running again in its own little booth. Far better than having a TV plonked on a table, would be just like at home for most.

I asked Dave this weekend if it was possible to have the panel on a secondary monitor and then the VR panel above. He like me wasn't sure if this could be done, and so thought that the best option would be to ask here. I think space will be a premium, after having a brainstorming session yesterday in the hangar, the 2D screen will be just above the rudder pedals. But would just like to know if this is at all possible? Has anyone done it in the past?

We have been donated a Tornado Avionics Simulator which we intend to turn into a VR sim, but this has been put back due to Covid and what with the installation of the controls, and an ejector seat and ladder, not really that customer friendly at the moment. So, the Hunter sim has been brought out of retirement and hopefully will prove as popular as was before. Just needs to be something more than what people see at home. We are currently repainting our FGA,9, so there is bound to be paint leftover from that, and with a roundel, either side and a warning triangle etc, should be a boost to our little Museum.

(It is amazing the number of people when on finals, don't flare and just stuff the aeroplane onto the runway and then think something is wrong with the sim!).

Best wishes,

Martin Pengelly

Molyned
Concorde
Concorde

Re: FSX Hawker Hunter - split screens is it possible?

Post by Molyned »

Good to hear from you Martin !
Cheers :cheers:
Dave M(oly)

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

Hello Martin! :hello: Glad to hear you're doing well. :)

Brian

T6flyer
VC10
VC10

Post by T6flyer »

Thanks chaps. Yes been a long time away. I gave up on home simming when after being the 2nd Consultant for the A2A T-6 (was responsible for the airframe and then the other chap, the flight dynamics) and it was released all the 'experts' came out of the woodwork saying this was wrong and that wasn't right, so decided there and then to pack it all in. My PC is now running the Hunter sim down at Newquay and all my controls etc were donated to a local ATC Squadron.

So, I now dabble, but have no vested interest anymore. I look at the current developments, but have no intention to get back into it. Still doing some flying (well only 3 trips this year due to Covid) and still very much involved with the Harvard. Flew my 14th example last December and currently working on 4 projects for owners here and in the States. Dave Garwood and a lot of people over the years have helped us with our little sim, and think from talking to people yesterday, will stick to the one screen. Would have been nice to have known if could have done 2, but FSX is I suppose very old hat now and everyone is using P3D. Xplane or the new MS2020.

Best wishes to all,

Martin

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Martin, great to hear from you again.

Glad your still getting air time in the real world. Theres something in the back of my head that Pete Dawson (of FSIUPC fame) had some sort of utility for Multi Screen - was it WideFS or something like that? I really can't remember and have lots going on at home atm. Maybe someone with more recent knowledge could comment.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Martin and good to hear form you again, just had a bit of a google around and think this is what may help you for multi-screens in FSX.

https://www.wideview.it/

Good luck in your new position. :thumbsup:

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.