The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

HDs not performing

Post by Airspeed »

Having benchmark tested my computer, and been told that at least one of my SSDs was below expected performance, and one mechanical was way over, I bought four new SATA3 cables, and replaced all of my HDD cables, 2 mechanical, 2 SSD. I ensured the all four went into my four SATA3 sockets.
I just ran the Benchmark test again, and am now told that ALL FOUR disks are performing well below expectations. I had my suspicions, as some finding functions seemed slower than usual.

On a happier note:
By a stroke of good fortune, I now have a GPU which is performing above expectations. Yesterday, FSX running unlimited, displayed 95fps. I'll check now whether the cable shemozzle has had any bad effect. :worried:

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: HDs not performing

Post by TSR2 »

Your being told by a piece of software running on the thing that your testing that it isn't performing. I'd take it with a pinch of salt. Unless the drive is reporting errors (SMART errors should be detected by any half decent performance software) its likely there's nothing wrong with the drives themselves, and certainly not all of them at the same time.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Thanks Ben,
I'll run the manufacturer's own test and see if it corroborates Benchmark's results.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

I ran the manufacturers' tests, Samsung Magician, SanDisk whatever, but they don't tell you if they're good bad or indifferent, just input and output numbers without explanations for dummies. :S
I'm convinced that both SSDs are going slower than before. :dunno:

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Have you got the Samsung Magician software installed it runs optimisation automatically. Samsung give you the option to over provision which takes 10% of the raw diskspace away and uses it for any bad blocks that develop. Its highly unlikely that all of your disks have all started to fail at the same time (unless your motherboard has an issue).

Have you run the Optimise from within Windows on all of the drives (Windows 10 does it automatically - but you can run it manually too)

Open explorer > Right Click on one of your drives (C Drive for example) > Properties > Tools > Optimise >

You'll get a list of all of the drives, SSD and HDD. If you run optimise on an SSD it will execute the trim function. On an HDD it will do a defrag (which will take ages).
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Sorry I took so long replying, Ben
I do have the Magician, but I'm going to re-download it because some bits aren't working.
It has applied TRIM already.
EDIT.
Done that, although it keeps whingeing that WMI hasn't started :dunno: it has optimised the SSD with RAPID and TRIM, done a full scan of the disk and found no errors. Something came up about Overprovisioning, which I didn't really follow, something about extending the life of the disk.
It also did a benchmark on all four disks, but the numbers mean nothing to me. It didn't indicate good or poor.
I'll do the on-line benchmark again now...

EDIT 2.
Done that.
I think that I'll leave that benchmarking for a while. Ran the test, and the revved up Samsung SSD did not get rated, because some test did not complete. :wall: :wall: