Now Looking at VR!!

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Now Looking at VR!!

Post by Nigel H-J »

From my previous thread regarding 'Track IR has died' I rather feel as though I will too through embarrassment!! :$

Babs (bless her) produced a gift voucher that came with a life insurance policy I took out last year to cover the cost of my funeral (when ever that may be) :hide: :lol: :lol: saying that I can put it towards a VR Headset. Now I know I previously wrote that I did not want to join Face Book just to run the Oculus Quest but what other options are there to be able to run the Quest 2? After having looked at the Profile, Privacy and Security you can control who can, or can't see, your activity etc. https://support.oculus.com/3998726656826843

What information will be available from my account (if I purchase the Quest 2) will hardly be worth looking at and having gone through a multitude of reviews of VR Headsets it appears that the Quest 2 (for the price) is a best buy!! I could of course wait until something new is released but then I could be waiting for ages.

What do you think about the Quest 2 and does any-one have anything to say about other Headsets presently on the market?

incidentally, although I could not afford one but looking around for the HP Reverb G2 very difficult to buy as they are in demand but looking on E-Bay you can snap them up no problem if you have the money!! Maybe these people bought them from new only to make a quick profit?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... 2&_sacat=0

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Re: Now Looking at VR!!

Post by chrispbits »

Hi Nigel, I have the Oculus Quest 2. It's a good headset and pretty good in many VR apps. It's okay to good in FSFS, very good in AFS2 and just about okay in X-Plane 11. It has a pretty narrow sweet spot, which is a bit awkward to hit with the standard strap. It is likely the Elite strap would afford a more comfortable and secure fit. I've been waiting for the Elite Battery strap, which hasn't been in stock since before Christmas so cannot confirm this is definitely the case. The Quest 2 needs to tethered to a PC via a cable. Oculus sell this but you can get a 3rd party version for half the price of the Oculus version.

Running VR still needs a powerful PC to get the best of VR with MSFS and users running NVidia 3080 cards still have to compromise on settings.

If you want VR for VR sake then it's a good investment. If you want VR for flightsim other than AFS2 then unless you have a reasonably powerful PC with a good graphics card then you may find you're committing to compromises that you may grow tired of.

Hope this is helpful.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Chris and very many thanks for your reply. I previously bought the Oculus Rift 'S' but found that the screen door effect really put me off it and sent it back, either that or I had not set it up properly!! :dunno:

After watching various clips on YouTube I have now decided to go VR, not just for flying but also Dirt Rally and Rfactor 2 racing and this was initiated by my Track IR dying!!

I have been wondering about the Link Cable, the Oculus Quest 2 USB-C Link Cable is retailing at £88.99 but, and I have to quote a review on an alternative cable from androidcentral in which they wrote:

Anker USB C Cable, Powerline USB 3.0 to USB C Charger Cable (10ft)
On the official Oculus Link support page, the company states it tested this USB-C to USB-A Anker cable "internally with good results." It hits the USB 3.0 5Gbps standard for fast data transfer, and supports 15W fast charging so your Quest 2 remains fully powered under the heavy workload. It's reliable and popular with Quest 2 users, but you may want a longer cable with a 90-degree USB-C cable head if you plan on playing more motion-heavy PC VR games.
The price at Amazon for a 10ft cable is £17.99 and wonder if you run the Oculus cable or maybe this one? If so how have you found it? Rather not spend £88.99 but would if it was the best way forward. :dunno:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MZIPYPY? ... rocentr-21

My system is:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz (Not Overclocked)
RAM 32 Gb.
RTX 2070 (Not Overclocked)

When I did have the Rift 'S' I was struggling a bit with graphics, went down to 20fps but that was before X-Plane released Vulkan so hopefully if I set it up correctly, should run reasonably well.

Not buying until after 20th March.

Regards
Nigel.

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Post by chrispbits »

Hi Nigel, I use a 3rd party cable and it's fine. Doesn't charge the Oculus when in use but that may not be the fault of the cable. BTW the Oculus Elite strap with battery is available to order from Amazon - it is highly recommended but is an extra 99 squid. Oddly, cheaper than it was a few weeks ago, even if not available then.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

BTW the Oculus Elite strap with battery is available to order from Amazon - it is highly recommended but is an extra 99 squid.
Oh 'eck, no-way will Babs agree to that I'm afraid as just waiting for a delivery of a new chair to replace the one I currently use!! :hide: Will go for the Anker USB as it appears to be the best third party one available. Watched a YouTube video of the Quest 2 and did not realise that it has hand/finger tracking so hopefully X-Plane 11 might incorporate that feature some-time in the not too distant future!! Would save on batteries!! :lol:

Many thanks Chris

Regards
Nigel.

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Post by chrispbits »

Hi Nigel, my Elite strap with battery arrived much earlier than expected. The strap is much more comfortable and easier to find and maintain a good fit than the default. Certainly easier to find and keep the sweet spot in MSFS. If you can stretch to the Elite strap without the battery I recommend it.

The battery serves no purpose if you're going to be tethered to a PC for most of the time.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Chris and very many thanks for the info. I ordered the Anker USB-C Cable and it came yesterday. Price was £17.99 but now reduced to £16.99 :lol:
Better price than the Oculus one at £88.99!!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-PowerLin ... 684&sr=8-2

Will be tethered all the time to the PC as using it for X Plane 11 and some racing games. Might have a look at the Elite Strap but presently I am going to have to stick with what I will be getting.

Purchasing this week-end so hopefully I won't have any issues with it BTW, had watched Tyriel Wood through the lens on the V23 Update, so that is the first priority when I get it!! :lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43MiYJ-JegE

Many thanks again.

Regards
Nigel.