Buying a new computer

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Thanks Jetset, will have a look when I get time.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by jonesey2k »

In order to get 64bit, you need a 64bit OS, the only problem is finding 64bit drivers for hardware, I didnt have much of a problem but others might.

Id go for an A64 3500 at a minimum. Allthough my 1 year old + Winchester 3200 overclocked to 2500mhz (stock 2000) is still going very strong. I reckon I could get 2600mhz out of it but I havent really pushed it. :smile: Ill be keeping this cpu. for a while yet.

Ill be going for a 7900GT and a PCI-E mobo soon. Ill be clocking that up to GTX speeds too :dance:
Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12 gauge.

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

Devil's advocate here.

Why 64 bit if there is as yet no operating system (except Linux and Windows Betas) for it?

How many games would benefit if there was a 64 bit OS?

And what about the new Intel Duo Core? It may not be 64 bit, but it seems to go well and does not need a massive noisy fan to cool it.

This page of the article is the conclusion:
http://techreport.com/reviews/2006q2/co ... ex.x?pg=16

mention of DUo vs Athlon 3800+

Right now, I am waiting to see how all this works out and I'll stick with my 2.4Ghz P4.

Ian

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

There are full versions of the Windows opperating system for 64 bit, these are not BETA's and have been full versions for well over a year now, however this is not the point.

All Nigel needs to be aware of is that his new processor must support 64bit addressing. He does not need a 64 bit OS for this.

A bit of background, the only true 64 bit processors are Intel's Itanium / Itanium2, Motorola have one and IBM make one. These are designed for mainframe / midrange computing fo large enterprise systems. They have special versions of Windows / Unix / Linux

The 64bit we are talking about basically increases the addressable memory from the current maximum of 4GB on 32 bit OS's, but this will only work when a 64bit OS is used. These processors are not true 64bit processors - by a long shot.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

Thanks Ben - shows how up to date I am on Windows :roll: . Only recently changed to XP from Win 2000.

The underlying OS is unimportant to me if all it adds is fancy graphical Explorer.

Using Linux more these days because it is free and hence can put it on my old PCs to run music/photo servers.

And looking back at Nigel's original post:

"easily upgraded" - that's the problem. Once the CPU changes to a different pin arrangement, you need a new motherboard. Which is why I am stuck with my 2.4 P4 and have a garage full of old P3 and P4 motherboards and CPUs.

Ian

Rick Piper
The Gurus
Location: In front of screen learning 3ds max :/ ...............Done it :)

Post by Rick Piper »

Hi Ian

In your Garage full of bits have you got 3 x P4 2ghz (s478)

I can then rebuild my ond HP server quad system :lol:

Just an idea.
Regards
Rick :smile:

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

Hi Nigel,

Ok first of all, do you require a base unit only or base unit +monitor, speakers, keyboard, mouse etc?

The flavour of the year is AMD. I've used AMD for 7 years with no problems and I see them as being superior to Intel. Intel... thats another word for my filthy list !

1/ Salad
2/ AOL
3/ Realplayer
4/ Kebab
5/ Intel

Did you get those Jetty?

Anyway, back on topic !

AMD's entire lineup is now 64bit. Their budget CPU is the Sempron with the higher end being the Athlon and Athlon X2 (Dual Core).
For now we shall concentrate on the Athlon and Athlon X2.

Both of these processors operate on what is called a Socket 939 motherboard. These boards use DDR1 memory which is fairly cheap.
However, AMD are bringing out a new socket at the end of this month called AM2. AM2 motherboards have new chipsets and use DDR2 memory. This provides a small increase in speed over Socket 939 but it also costs slightly more.
Socket 939 will eventually be phased out and AMD will concentrate on AM2. If you are thinking about the future then you really need to think about this.

If you want a PC asap then I'll spec you a Socket 939 based PC but otherwise wait and see what the AM2 prices will be like.
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

Rick

I 've only got one 2Ghz P4. But for the right price I could do 4 x 2.4 Ghz P4, 533 FSB.

And you think I'm joking! :tuttut:

Mrs H wouldn't be too pleased but she could have a couple of 2.8Ghz instead :dance:

Ian

Jetset
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Jetset »

New list copied thanks CB!
Onwards and Upwards!!!!!!!!
Jetty!
If God had of meant us to fly, he would have given us wings! He did, it's called an aeroplane!

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

Jetset wrote:New list copied thanks CB!
Can't believe CB dislikes the Kebab! I am truly astonished. Thats madness. Did'nt anyone tell him its Brain food! :dance:
Image I suffer from paranoid amnesia. I can't remember who I don't trust.Image