DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

OK.. so I'm tempted :doh:

IF this should go wrong.. you'll be getting a visit at Luton Airport!! :lol:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

Luton Airport is a big place :wink: :lol:
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

Jetset
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Jetset »

If you do it Dave, Good Luck and God's Speed!

Let us know how it goes!
Onwards and Upwards!!!!!!!!
Jetty!
If God had of meant us to fly, he would have given us wings! He did, it's called an aeroplane!

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Just before I leave for Luton.. I shall remind us all of that famous quote.. 'If it aint broke.. don't fix it'!! :lol: :lol:

Will report back soonest.. either from here or by phone from the car!! :lol:

ATB

ImageImage

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

I'm not sure if 3-6fps is worth it mind you.. especially at places like Malta where knowing my luck.. I'd be at the three end of the scale and it would still run like 3-legged donkey!
Dave, you have a much faster graphic card than moi!! and your system is quicker too.........You might get more frames per sec than I've experienced.

By the way...............Let me know how you get on in Luton!!!!! :axe:
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

Dave, I live just outside Luton, so just give me the nod, and I'll send the boys round :wink:
Dave G.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

OK CB.. no need for plastic surgery. :lol:

I took the plunge and renamed the old cfg file.. started up the sim.. immediately changed display from 640x480 to the norm on here (1152x864x32)..made a new flight (default cessna at IOM) and was confronted by 73-86fps :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

OK.. note that it was the default Cessna and that all of my previous wx/traffic settings have gone but even so, that ain't bad. Granted.. the IOM (with UKVFRPhoto) isn't the most densely populated startup situations (that's the reason I use it) but even so.. 73-86fps isn't bad. When I took off, the number occassionally whizzed to over 100fps :shock: Rick's Chipmouse soon put paid to that though but even so.. very respectable numbers were coming up.

One thing to note (no.. a few things to note). Certain DLL's like Sound and Soarr need to be re-entered on the new FS9.cfg otherwise you'll get an error box each time you load up plus a lot of this new found speed will almost certainly have come by FS selecting defaults for everything. While I have no way of telling if your system will judder back to it's previous lows when all these settings have been readjusted.. I honestly don't think that will be the case. It's too early to say exactly what the impact of a re-write has been but early impressions are that it has definately done no harm.. in fact, the opposite :wink:

Will let you all know of bits that crop up as and when they happen.

ATB

ImageImage

Jetset
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Jetset »

Thanks for taking the plunge for us all Dave, your like a modern day JC!
Onwards and Upwards!!!!!!!!
Jetty!
If God had of meant us to fly, he would have given us wings! He did, it's called an aeroplane!

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

'Ere Dave nothing heard from you since you started on the fs9.cfg...........hows it going or are you planning that trip to Luton?
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Well Nigel.. as mentioned earlier, you (or anyone else considering doing this) will have to go into your Fsim settings and adjust them all from the default (some of which I've done and others I haven't yet) but.. it continues to run sweet as a nut. It's certainly not slower.. far from it (but for the reasons mentioned above) and if it get's you out of jail free, its a good fix.
Overall mate.. I have nothing but good to say for doing a quick spring clean :wink:

Pity the operating system isn't so good at repairing itself when things go wrong! :roll:

ATB

ImageImage