A very strange graphics card problem

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

A very strange graphics card problem

Post by speedbird591 »

I've just upgraded my rather sad GeForce 3 64Mb card to a not-quite-so-sad GeForce FX5500 256Mb. Installation was fine and improvement as expected. Only problem is I can't connect to the internet with the new card installed. I've swapped the cards over several times to confirm that the connection is still fine with the old card. The card is in the AGP slot and the internet connection is via a broadband router using a PCI wireless card 3 slots away from the graphics card. The computer struggles to draw a page in IE and usually drops the connection before completing it, or fails to connect to the network without a lot of coaxing.

Athlon 1.4 with 512Mb RAM. 80Gb HDD with 45 Mb free. Asus A7A266 Motherboard. Latest nvidia drivers installed. Anybody got any guesses?

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

Have you tried reinstalling the motherboard drivers?
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

Thanks CB. I think you're on the right lines suspecting the motherboard. I've just received a prompt reply from 3DFuzion (the card manufacturer) and they suggest flashing the BIOS. I've only just stopped laughing. The way my luck has been going recently, there is no way on Earth I'm getting involved with the motherboard or BIOS!

When I was younger I might have been more cavalier with my luck, but it usually involved motorcycles or inventive contraception techniques. The consequences of a bodged motherboard upgrade are far more serious! I think I'll take it back and put the money in the piggy bank for a new computer.

Thanks for your help anyway. :smile:

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

I would also suggest you save your money for a new PC mate. No point in spending money upgrading old PC's as there comes a point when you can only upgrade so far and even then, it's a waste of time.

Sorry to be blunt. :wink:

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

I've got this sorted now, CB. Seems like it was an incompatibilty with the wireless PCI card. I've moved the router next to the PC and connected it by cable and the internet connection and graphics card are both working fine. I know it should have been configured like that anyway, but cyberbrat needed the router next to the TV to go online with his PS2. :sad: Perhaps he won't notice.....

Thanks again for your advice.

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

Glad it's sorted. Maybe try a USB wireless adaptor mate, you get a better signal with them anyway. Don't get a Belkin one though, buy a Netgear model.