Nortons users beware

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Avant-Garde-Aclue

Post by Avant-Garde-Aclue »

How odd!! What happened to my post above? Has it been hacked?

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

Avant-Garde-Aclue wrote:How odd!! What happened to my post above? Has it been hacked?
My apologies, I hit the wrong button. I meant to say....

So 2 anti virus programs, one as bad as the other, each taking their share of system memory as well as Spybot etc running? Rather you than me.

But instead I edited your post by mistake. I've put it back now. :doh:
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

Avant-Garde-Aclue

Post by Avant-Garde-Aclue »

:lol: :lol: Not a great problem CB lol, I was wondering what happened. I don't get any adverse slow ups or noticeable memory loss running the setup as I do, Spybot S&D is ususally dormant until I use it to scan the system.

Perhaps AVG and AVast! are'nt everybody's cups of tea, its pretty much horses for courses, but after hearing that Nortons deliberately put out viruses in their updates to charge the earth to get rid of them, I stay away from any symantec product.

Regards

Sean

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

I used Norton for a while and it never seamed to find anything. I switched to McAffe and it at least reports from time to time that it finds infected files but there are also times where the system just seams to be crawling and I check the task manager and McAfee is using 90% of the CPU.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

AVG - Free, used by those who don't want to fork out. I repaired a system that used AVG and my then (Panda) anti virus found 158 viruses. The user didn't know any better because as I said before, you don't know when a virus gets through.
CB I always bow to your knowledge on PC stuff :smile: however AVG has worked for me and everyone I have got to use it, its free it updates daily and so far has tracked everything and blocked everything. Some companies will free check your system and say you have this and that although you don't just so you buy their progs! I think Panda do a free trial I may give it a go and see what it finds :lol:
I agree Norton are cack...I stopped using their stuff way back on my DX4/100 or similar rescource hugging beast that wont let you fully get rid of it...like a garden weed.....yuk hate em :gun:
AMD Phenom II X4 BE 965 @ 3.80GHz
nVidia GTX 560 TI 448 Cores

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

I wouldn't bother with Panda. User registration is a pain and there are no subscription discounts after a year.
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

Cheers CB not bothering as we speak :lol:
AMD Phenom II X4 BE 965 @ 3.80GHz
nVidia GTX 560 TI 448 Cores

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

If you do decide to uninstall Norton, (been there and done it) be aware that Windows uninstaller will probably not get rid of it completely. Symantec do a special automated uninstall tool which will do a better job. :roll:

Here you go. Best just click the link unless you've got some leave due!

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ts ... _lvl=&seg=

To give you confidence in this tool, at the bottom of the page there is a link entitled "what if this doesn't work"! This takes you to 3 manual download files which supposedly clears all trace of Norton from your system. However, I still found some stuff in the registry after all that.

In the final instruction, you are told to re-install your Norton products. I'd respectfully suggest that you ignore that. :lol:

It just shows how intrusive it is if you have to go through all this to get rid of it! :gun: