FS AUTO START

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Jetset
Concorde
Concorde

FS AUTO START

Post by Jetset »

Just looking for your personal opinions. How much difference in terms of extra fps do you think FS AUTO START makes to your sim experience?

I am in two minds in whether to use it, namely because of our home computers being on a wireless network (and I don't want to shut them down by mistake) and because of the ATC addon VOX. It uses Microsofts speech engine, and I don't know which services run that.
Onwards and Upwards!!!!!!!!
Jetty!
If God had of meant us to fly, he would have given us wings! He did, it's called an aeroplane!

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

If you've got a decent PC, you don't need it.
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

Jetset
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Jetset »

Thought as much, why is it that I always grab for those few extra fps?
Onwards and Upwards!!!!!!!!
Jetty!
If God had of meant us to fly, he would have given us wings! He did, it's called an aeroplane!

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

30fps or 100fps, it will still stutter.

Can you tell I'm tired :wink:
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Jetset,

I had thought about getting FS Autostart once but then realised it was just as good as using the CTRL-ALT-DEL keys for programmes running in the background..........Just a word of warning......if you end task the explorer......you end task your time on the computer!!!!! :doh:
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Sl4yer
Trident
Trident

Post by Sl4yer »

Nigel H-J wrote:Just a word of warning......if you end task the explorer......you end task your time on the computer!!!!! :doh:
Nigel, it is actually possible to run Windows without Explorer running, by setting Task Manager as the default shell. Programs are then started by browsing from New Task in Task Manager. Seems a bit extreme to try to force a few FPS though...

James

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Thanks James,

By not having programmes running in the background means that FS9 runs just slightly better..............Well it does on a low end system!!! :sad:
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Vixus
Victor
Victor

Post by Vixus »

Not that much of an improvement to be honest.

dswanson
Trident
Trident

FS AUTOSTART

Post by dswanson »

Hi,

I find it handy for giving those extra FPS as well as auto-loading up my Game Commander voice tool (a good co-pilot) and a screenshot capture program in one fell swoop.

It certainly seems to grab for memory for the sim as if you try loading any other program before closing the autostart it takes ages. It's no good if you want to go in and out of the sim to tweak FD or scenery files.

As it actually takes longer to load the sim via fsautostart than from the desktop I only use it for longer periods of flying - for the quick flight (<30 min) or for tweaking I don't bother.
Regards,

Degsy