This website wants to download an add-on

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

This website wants to download an add-on

Post by speedbird591 »

As of yesterday, every time I open a page on CBFS my pop-up blocker gives the following message:

This website wants to run the following add-on: ''QuickTimeCheck Scriptable Object' from Apple Computer, Inc. (unverified publisher)'.

I'm not getting it on any other sites so it seems to be specific to CBFS. I obviously won't allow it unless I know what it is. Anybody else getting it, or know what it is?

I'm running IE7 Beta 3 (which I like and is doing it's job, so don't start telling me I should be using Firefox! I don't like Firefox :lol: )

Ian

EDIT: Ah, Holmes! Just noticed the same on HJG - but only on the forum - which is the same format as CBFS. It would seem to be something that is required by forums powered by phpBB. "Of course, Watson. Elementary, my dear chap."

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I have noticed this this morning. Please do not run any unverified active x control. There have been no updates to the site which should require this, so I'm not sure whats going on. I'll keep you all posted.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Callum
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Callum »

Sounds like you've got a virus :redface: Beta 2 of phpBB3 is out now, so th final version should be out soon... better security, and better looks!

*Gets excited.. can't wait*.

alan cottrill
Lightning
Lightning

Post by alan cottrill »

I have not seen this message,but i have noticed my firewall,blocked an incoming that was rated (high) from picare.info
Dont know if this is the sorce or not of the message you got.
alan.

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

I've just done a google on this message and it seems to be a kosher Apple QuickTime download that allows the browser to check for Quick Time updates. It's not an Active X control. I was getting it here, on HJG and Airliners.net. Curious that they're all aviation sites.

So I took the plunge and allowed it and my AV was happy with it so I'm all sorted. Maybe... :worried:

Ian

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

speedbird591 wrote:Curious that they're all aviation sites.
Hi Ian

Maybe its because its the only kind of sites you visit? :wink: :poke:

I don't see that you should worry about this. A very efficient way to remove this message is to remove the Quick Time plug-in...I don't use Quicktime at all, not only because of this annoying self-checks....(although you are able to uncheck this self-check option within the Quick time) but also because I just don't like it.
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image
Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

Btw. do you have *.gif files associated to your Apple Quicktime? That might be the reason, as the upper left corner (and various other places) is a gif file, and hence a provocateur to Apple for an update....
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

DanKH wrote:Maybe its because its the only kind of sites you visit? :wink: :poke:
You have NO idea what kind of sites I visit :lol:

Know what you mean about Quick Time - it is an annoying little blighter, but I think cyberbrat uses it for some of his silly sites so I daren't bin it!

It could be the .gif thing but as I have let it have its own way it's leaving me in peace, now. Thanks, Dan.

Ian :smile:

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

You earned yourself a PM for this.... :smile:
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

speedbird591 wrote:Know what you mean about Quick Time - it is an annoying little blighter
Originally I couldnt see why I had to have Mac software on my PC when QT first became 'popular' in the late 90s. Now of course when you need to install it, it seems to come bundled with iTunes which then promptly tries to steal all my music asssociations and persuade me to buy an iPod. Bloomin' Apple are trying to hijack my PC and turn it into a Mac i think :curse:

Remember:

Mac's
Always
Crash
If
Not
Then
Operating
System
Hangs