HU Old music and radio programmes available

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

HU Old music and radio programmes available

Post by hobby »

I have recently fitted the Cd4.gau to a Dc3 which allows one to play Cds in the computer tray or to store audio files which can be operated by push button controls. I emailed Bruce to obtain a zip of 1950s hits (freeware) and in a subsequent email Bruce suggested the following sites which seem to be payware.

http://www.otrcat.com/
http://www.petefaint.co.uk/jackhylton/music.htm
http://mysite.mweb.co.za/residents/gavi ... index.html

I grew up with the Goonshow, Billy Cotton etc., so these are excellent sites from which to obtain such material. I have not yet had time to order and buy so cannot comment on the quality of service. 293 Episodes of the Goonshow!!!

Yes, I am in the top 2% age range of Flightsimmers and I think that everyone in the VA is younger than I. My RAF service dates from 1955.

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

I'm completely addicted to BBC 7, Monday evenings is not complete with my fix of the Goons and a good vintage "I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue".

Incidentally, my 13 year old son is a fan as well!

AndyG

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Used to love listening to the Navy Lark, Jimmy Clitheroe, Workers Playtime, the Goon show and of course Dick Barton to mention a few.

Would rather listen to radio shows of the past than what you presently get on TV, used to stir up the imagination to capture the scenes and were much more entertaining than of now, but that may be because I grew up with it!!
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

PeteP
Concorde
Concorde

Post by PeteP »

AndyG wrote:I'm completely addicted to BBC 7
I'm an addict too, Andy and have been since I got a DAB bedside radio for Christmas 2004. BBC7 has now almost completely replaced Radio4 and the World Service as my late night/early morning listening.
hobby wrote:I have not yet had time to order and buy so cannot comment on the quality of service.
I bought 2 volumes of "Hancock's Half Hour" and one of "Beyond our Ken" from 'Old Time Radio' and the service was quick and efficient. The sound quality of the mp3 files was variable but always 'listenable'.

Being a great fan, I invested (at huge expense!) in the complete set of audio CDs of "Round the Horne", beautifully packaged and re-mastered by the BBC from, in the most part, the original masters with superb sound. The mp3 CDs are nothing like this being "off-air" recordings with the original tapes being made in some cases by the simple expedient of placing a microphone in front of the radio's speaker - there's even the occasional bit of "station drift" that we used to suffer from in those days but nothing so serious as to spoil the listening pleasure. In fact, they're rather better for recreating the atmosphere of settling down on a winter's afternoon in the 50s and 60s after Sunday lunch and "Two-Way Family Favourites" to listen to the hour's-worth of comedy the BBC Light Programme used to broadcast.
Pete

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

PeteP wrote:
AndyG wrote:I'm completely addicted to BBC 7
I'm an addict too, Andy and have been since I got a DAB bedside radio for Christmas 2004. BBC7 has now almost completely replaced Radio4 and the World Service as my late night/early morning listening.
Pete
Still has to be Radio 4 in the mornings (nothing like a bit of John Humphries ridiculing a government minister to start the day off well :smile: ), but evenings and late nights are now all BBC 7, very little TV these days. Classic 'Round the Horne' and "Haven't A Clue", both shows where you wonder how they got away with it then!!; early "Goodness Gracious Me", "League of Gentlemen", plenty of Jeremy Hardy, Mark Steel and Marcus Brigstock; and the recent run of Eddie Izzard concerts got me in trouble with the neighbours, I was laughing so much!

I've even started listening to some of the dramas now, but that's mainly because I think Michaela Saunders has one of the sexiest voices on Radio! :lol:

AndyG