Two copies of FS9 on the one PC?

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Quixoticish
Concorde
Concorde

Two copies of FS9 on the one PC?

Post by Quixoticish »

Is it simply a case of backing up the scenery.cfg and things and installing a new copy in a different folder?

I really want one for offline use chock full of AI, and the other for online use with only a small amount of aircraft installed. I assume they'd still be able to share addon scenery like Scotflight, UK2000 and FSGlobal?

I was just a bit concerned about registry entries and other assorted bits and bobs, so I thought I'd check on here to see if anyone had actually done before it before I made a great hash of things.

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

Why not just turn ai off?
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

Quixoticish
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Quixoticish »

Charlie Bravo wrote:Why not just turn ai off?
Because I use FSInn to play multiplayer and it loads all of the aircraft (including the many thousands of AI I have) into its database resulting in a huge load time.

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

You could use Flightsim Manager (freeware) to temporarily disable the AI aircraft.
Set them up as a fleet, and you can enable / disable them in one go.
Dave G.

Dyl Roberts
Trident
Trident

Post by Dyl Roberts »

Hi Chris,

It is possible to do it;

I did that not long ago when I was working on My VFR scenery, so one would work with VFR & the other would work with the default landscape.

I picked this writ up a while ago on this very forum, but can't remember where exactly it is now..... fortunately I did copy the text for refrence to My own projects, it reads;

I (temporarily) renamed my main FS9 folder AND FS9.exe (is just renamed them both FS9A etc), then did the new install (including FS9.1 patch); I then renamed that folder and FS9.exe ('Retro' strangely enough!!) and changed the original install back again - it's working ok, although you do have to be careful if you're installing something using an auto installer.

So I now have a main FS9 installation and a retro installation; I've also set up an 'external' Addon Scenery folder for things like mesh files that can be shared between the two! Then I have a third install for Golden Wings!!

That Chap had three installations of FS9.....

Cheers,

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

Dyl Roberts wrote:Hi Chris,

It is possible to do it;

I did that not long ago when I was working on My VFR scenery, so one would work with VFR & the other would work with the default landscape.

I picked this writ up a while ago on this very forum, but can't remember where exactly it is now..... fortunately I did copy the text for refrence to My own projects, it reads;

I (temporarily) renamed my main FS9 folder AND FS9.exe (is just renamed them both FS9A etc), then did the new install (including FS9.1 patch); I then renamed that folder and FS9.exe ('Retro' strangely enough!!) and changed the original install back again - it's working ok, although you do have to be careful if you're installing something using an auto installer.

So I now have a main FS9 installation and a retro installation; I've also set up an 'external' Addon Scenery folder for things like mesh files that can be shared between the two! Then I have a third install for Golden Wings!!

That Chap had three installations of FS9.....

Cheers,
Yeah, but then my PC crashed and I had to do it all again!! I now have a main, and a retro which I use for flying all of Mr Maltby and Mr Piper's finest - although I seem to have spent most of this week adding Phantom repaints from our resident busy bunnies, Mr Nott and the UKMil boys.

AndyG

Kimber
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Kimber »

We have found, after 5 installs of FS9, it is best to just copy and paste
an install we have on an external HD!!

When you make more than one install of FS9, only one can be in
the regestry!! The uninstall thing will not work right!! Ssome payware
aircraft may not work right!!

We installed FS9 to the external HD and now when we need a new
install, we just copy and paste it to a new folder, change the name
of the FS9.exe and make a new short cut to desktop!!

And it ends up looking like this:

Quixoticish
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Quixoticish »

Thanks for the help everyone. I'll attempt this later today.