DVD Recorder Speeds

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

RAF_Quantum
The Gurus

Post by RAF_Quantum »

Hi,

I wouldn't bother too much about trying to find out what speed a dvd-rom will read at. Smack any DVD into the machine and if it plays back ok then fine. The question is about the quality. If you recorded on an old VHS recorder at LP speeds then the playback quality is a lot poorer than if recorded at SP speeds. For DVD recorders the same is true to a certain extent. If you were to record at the lowest quality then it would probably give you the similar effect of drop in picture quality. The dubbing/burning to DVD outputs at a format readable on any DVD player as long as the disc format is compatible with the recording DVD and the playback DVD. My panasonic only read/writes DVD+R and DVD-RAM whereas the latest Panasonics read/write to all formats. MOST DVD-ROMS in PC's will read all formats except DVD-RAM.

Rgds

John

telpeedell
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

DVD Recorder Speeds

Post by telpeedell »

Hello Guys and thanks for all the replies. I will try and take on board all the offered help and opinions, but I think it might come down to the 'suck it and see' principle. My new DVD recorder is a Sony RDR-GX120 and it will read almost anything of any format on a DVD or CD rom disc. For recording purposes it advises the use of DVD+RW discs because these can be recorded on to, and then erased and recorded over again as often as you wish. The disc can be made to record from one minute up to 8 hours all on the one disc. My Daughter's machine is a Hitachi standard DVD player only. I don't fully grasp this compression business yet , but it seems odd to think that I can record 8 hours of TV (obviously of low quality) on one disc, and then put the disc into a standard play machine and it will show the recording. Remember in my machine the motor will have been turning the disc slowly for eight hours, and then in the second machine the motor has a fixed speed at which to turn the disc. Thanks again for the replies and I think the answer may result from making a disc of recordings at different speeds and seeing which will play on the second machine.
Anything to do with Flight Sim. particularly
historic or classic aircraft.

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

telpeedell,

Well that is a new option that I did not know about - recording directly on to DVD :dunno:

I suspect definitely suck it and see.

Ian