View values in FS9

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

View values in FS9

Post by hobby »

I fly a DC3 for the VA and experience difficulty in seeing where I am going when taxying on airfields often finding that I have inadvertantly 'cut the corner' when turning from one taxyway to another, or from the taxyway to the runway. This would look so embarrassing if I was involved in 'multi pilot events' online. Perhaps our VA will develop and attempt such an event in the future.

Fed up with this problem I began to adjust (reads better than 'fiddle about') the view value, see Fs9 'views'/front some aircraft seem to be built so that the panel view ahead value is 1.00 others somewhat, indeed considerably, less say 0.7. In FS2002 & 98 days the alteration of the view value was said to improve one's 'field of view', by this I mean, for example, the width of the runway one could see from the captain's seat in the aircraft. The more one could see the easier it was to taxy and be aware of other 'traffic' approaching from left or right so that one was not taken by surprise when told by the ground ATC to 'halt for the 737 on the taxyway'.

In the default DC3 this evening I found that a front view value of 0.50 in virtual pnl mode gave a very good impression of sitting in the cockpit while flying but one had to adjust that quite a lot when taxying, this is of course more evident in a 'tail dragger' than in a 'trike.'.

I could not in my VA flight come to any useful conclusions about the view value for the 2D cockpit view ahead so kept that at the default '1.0'.

Has anyone, especially our aircraft designers and other pilots come to any conclusions about the best 'view value' for the default view with 2D panel - the normal view when selecting an aircraft? If so I would be very interested to see what conclusions, and the reasons behind such conclusions, that others using FS9 have come to over the years.

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

Have sent you a PM James,

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi James,

Quite simply.. I cheat in the DC3. I've added the EYEPOINT gauge from DM's VC10/1-11 which gives me just about all I need to see. I sometimes use the VC for taxying or even pop outside too so there's a bit of variation :smile: I rarely (if ever) adjust the view so that I can see the ground with the tail on the deck but I find a couple of clicks down gives me valuable extra seconds to see the runway as the tail comes up so that I can adjust my position if necessary. Nowt like thundering down the runway for what seems like years only to find yourself on the grass when the ground comes into view! :lol: As soon as she's level.. a couple of clicks down has it back to the default again :wink:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

I usually just switch the panel off with the 'w' command

I doubt if much could be seen out the front of a real DC3

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."