So whose gone back then?

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

So whose gone back then?

Post by VEGAS »

Hi all,

Just curious to know who (if any) have reverted back to FS9 and if so why. After being hooked on FSX since Christmas and even more so since I added the GenX scenery I thought I would never go backwards and looked to the future and the options FSX would bring.

For this reason I quickly sold FS9 and did'nt give it a second thought. Waving bye-bye to the past and moving on from something that I had become very addicted to.

Now some six months on I have found myself scouring the tinterweb looking for a cheap copy of FS9. Why? - I hear you say. Well the truth of the matter is, I miss all the old stuff and the general feel of FS9. Also the classic aircraft and the silky smoothness of the sim, even with all sliders maxed out.

Granted FSX has some neat little touches such as AI ships/boats, moving vehicles and active roads. But thats just not enough. If I fly away from UK shores and attempt to fly anywhere that isn't covered by GenX then I am treated to a slideshow of shame. I'm not thinking of selling FSX or even stopping using it for one minute, especially now SP1 is on the way.

Due to the quality of GenX, FSX has sealed its place on my HD for the timebeing, however I am almost ashamed to say I am moving against the grain at the minute and looking to go back to how it used to be.

So, is anyone floggin a copy of FS9 or what? :lol:
Image I suffer from paranoid amnesia. I can't remember who I don't trust.Image

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Interesting one Vegas. I've said before that what ACES failed to realise is that the reason FS is so successful is the number of quality freeware developers out there who spend a huge amount of time (and money) researching and build models. Usually the big payware houses have better access to the dev tools, and are rewarded for producing stuff for the new sim, but freeware guys don't have this luxury.

As a result, almost all of the freeware developers are waiting on a: SP1 and b:updated dev tools (FSDS) so that they can produce the same high standard of models. Aside from our own guys, I know of two projects where they are waiting on SP1 before release, just incase there are gotchas, one has been foinished for some months now, but the chap concerned doesn't want to have to deal with a barrage of problems if SP1 cocks it up.

I won't be going back, but the new sim will only be successful once guys start modeling for it, and they aint going to do that with so much uncertanty.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

TBH I may yet get FS.X as a checker and something to stand by....but I would not throw FS.9 out.

Even if FS.X did run as well as FS.9 there are aircraft for FS.9 that are unlikely to be repeated in the short term so it's worth keeping just for that. :think:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Buggyman
VC10
VC10

Post by Buggyman »

Never left FS9. Installed FSX knowing that - for a time at least - it would not beat FS9. I must admit to being disappointed with FSX which is reflected in my log with less than 300 hours for FSX against almost a 1000 for FS9.

FSX will come good eventually, I still maintain that it was released too early and should have had another six or nine months gestation period.

In the meantime, whenever FSX does a CTD - I seem to be getting plenty of those these days - I just boot up good old dependable FS9 and fly my cares away.

ATB

Allan

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Got FSX and it runs pretty much as expected.. as I expected :smile:

Don't use it but I might at some point in the future :wink:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

The market forces that are ebay indicates the popularity (or lack of) FSX.

Want a cheap copy of deluxe version? No need to wait for the auctions - buy it now for £25 with free p&p.

I'm not tempted knowing that this PC is fine for now and does not yet need upgrading. :roll:

How many are Amazon selling at £41-96?

And FS2004 - buy it now for £17-99 :dunno:

kit
Trident
Trident

Post by kit »

I didn't even buy FSX at all. My system doesn't have the grunt to run it, so there was no point in my case.

It's like FS2K revisited, a 'sim too far' for the current general hardware availability level to my mind.
Regards
Kit

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by jonesey2k »

There are people who have only just binned FS2002!
I think that will be like me with X. I will eventually convert to X when I can get it just how I like it, ie how 9 is now :)

Oh and also when I bin my old trusty overclocked-to-high-heaven 6800U and get a pair of 8800GTX's :lol:
Last edited by jonesey2k on 15 May 2007, 21:41, edited 1 time in total.
Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12 gauge.

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

After reading all the posts on this site and one or two others, I don't think I'll be buying FSX for sometime yet.My PC would probably run it to some degree but it's not for me yet.Anyway I can cock up the the landings etc just as well in FS9.ATB EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

I have FSX and use it when I have a FSX model for the type of aircraft I want to fly, however for most of them I don't have one so I have been doing mainly FS9.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.