Ark Royal IV in FSX?..

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Ark Royal IV in FSX?..

Post by DaveB »

Hi Guy's,

Has anyone tried to port the FS9 Ark Royal IV over to FSX yet or any other carrier for that matter?? I get a feeling the Alpha Carriers may go over but Ark was a pain in the bum for some folk in FS9 :shock: Fancy an MP off a carrier in FSX and I don't have one yet :lol:

Particularly interested to know if anyone's moved Ark over.. moreso if it worked :wink:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

I guess 3 wire will not work either which really make even the default carriers just 'short strips' for STOL machines :dunno:
ATB Trev

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I have Hermes in FSX doing the AI run as it was an mdl file. I believe the Ark's are BGL which means I'd need to place it as a static scenery object :sad:

Someone on one of the new zealand forums was mentioning some way of sharing AI... now if I could find out how to do that.... a moving target is much more fun :smile: :yipeee:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I think you have a point there Trev though from what I can see, the payware prog FD4 dispensed with ArrCab (eventually) in favour of a gauge that does it for you (supposed to make it easier). Having just bought FD4 for FSX (as an upgrade option for FD3 users).. it just aint workin. Not a happy bunny :roll:

I've dragged the Alpha Enterprise over and it sits in the right place (at least the one I've dragged over does - English Channel) and most of the carrier is there. For some reason, a couple of the outer lifts are see-through but that's more than I'm seeing of the FD4 Ronny Reargun (flat top and an inordinate amount of wake.. nothing else). FD4 is so rough for a payware product it's almost unbelieveable. Looking in the panel folders, you can even see a handful of panel.cfg backups (an option which can be switched off when using FSPanel Studio) :roll:

Anyway.. that aside, I'll try and see what gauges cause the auto catapult and tailhook and apply them to 'other' aircraft for use on Enterprise. The gauge files in the FD4 aircraft haven't even been cabbed so it should be easy enough to achieve. We'll see :worried:

ATB

ImageImage

kit
Trident
Trident

Post by kit »

Dave,

I'd agree 100% about FD4, an upgrade it isn't............ :sad:

To my mind FD3 was the best version about, with Rob B's tweaked carrier gauges etc. I suspect that Abacus wanted to have their own 'in-house' landing and take-off add-ons and made a right mess of it.

And all this in FS9 too, goodness knows how 'orrible it must be with lift-less and hull-less FSX carriers.
Regards
Kit

Seaking
VC10
VC10

Post by Seaking »

I know when it was being modeled it was only for FS9, having said that I'll be happy to put her in FSX and see what I come up with. Skippy is still at sea with his flight but I'll send on a msg to him about this thread.

Seaking
VC10
VC10

Post by Seaking »

Ok I ported over the Ark to FSX and was pleasently surprised, there she was off Mayport no problem, smoke effect and radars burning and turning.

No problem with a mountain of sea either as I had ported over the OF flatten file for it as in FS9.

Went to land a seaking on here and slid through the deck, I know afcad doens't work with FSX fully yet so thought.......I'll just port over the afcad file from FS9........there was the surprise, worked perfectly. Taxied the Seaking all over the deck with no problems.

Now going to try a touch and go with a bucc from Mayport and see what happens, then I'll look into making it so I can trap. I'll then play around with adding some aircraft to the deck with the afcad, see how that works. Haven't spent a lot of time in FSX as it's such a power hogger.

I'll keep you guys posted.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Excellent news :welldone:

I dragged the Alpha Enterprise over and she still works fine all but a couple of see-through side lifts. Not got much time before my hols to try Ark but it'll be one of the first things I do when I get back!! :lol:

ATB

ImageImage

Seaking
VC10
VC10

Post by Seaking »

Ok landing with a bucc worked well, "bounced" off the deck well on a touch and go. even though the old DSB bucc is not FSX compliant but still looks great even on outside view with half the screen on the gauges

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

The only problem I had when I imported the beta Ark into the beta FSX was that all the windows had disappeared. Having got the Wyvern model into FSX and cured the same problem I'm 99% sure it'll be a straight forward fix to make an FSX compatible version when I get back home.