I tried - I really did !!

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: I tried - I really did !!

Post by tonymadge »

There is no point 4, 5 or 6 either. You repeated yourself 3 times
Tweek the only point is...there is no point in continuing this tennis match of a thread.. :brick: Neither of us will agree on FSX V FS9 issue so I will retire to my crappy old Ford Fiesta FS9 and you can drool over your Bentley Rolls FSX. We can both be happy with what we have ;-)
Just please in these politically correct times don't go down the route of certain "groups" and tell us that your deficiences are the normal and we should embrace it and rejoice in the abnormality and accept the failings as wonderful :dance:
AMD Phenom II X4 BE 965 @ 3.80GHz
nVidia GTX 560 TI 448 Cores

Tweek
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tweek »

tonymadge wrote:
There is no point 4, 5 or 6 either. You repeated yourself 3 times
Tweek the only point is...there is no point in continuing this tennis match of a thread.. :brick: Neither of us will agree on FSX V FS9 issue
I very much agree. :lol:

Michael davies
Trident
Trident

Post by Michael davies »

calypsos wrote:Well, I think this one will just keep on going in circles!

Yes, the days of FS9 are numbered
I'd disagree, granted it wont run for ever, though CFS2 seems to have extrodinarily long legs these days.

Developing for FSx is a beeatch, you only just learn FS9 then its down tools and start all over again, l'd hazard a guess that a fair few developers....who are very comfortable with FS9 processes....are dabbling in FSx but probably wont move over until FSxi arrives.

FS2000 was a bit of a pig and uploads tended to drift downwards at that time, lots of people stayed with FS98 and then jumped up when FS2002, or was it FS2004 / FS9 ?, did we actually have a FS2002 ?. I suspect some are going to do the same now, ie stick with FS98 and then go to FSxi, from what l hear there will be very little left of the Scasm / BGL world left in FSxi, therefore theres little point learning this hybrid FSx only to have to relearn the new set up.....in what could be a little under 12 months ( ACEs like to pump them out every two years or so ).

FSx can look very nice, so can FS9, but look nice and play nice...not so sure unless your some of the lucky few, mine plays ok, turn off AI, ships, cars, birds, bloom, self shadow and all the extras and it plays quite nice indeed, but with all that off it seems a waste of effort and you loose a fair bit of immersion. I thought Acceleration would add new bits and build on whats gone before, it appears not to, in some cases there are steps backward.

From a pure developers point of view....its a tool, nothing more nothing less

From an immersive simmers point of view....FS9, IMHO has the vote l'm afraid.

Best

Michael

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Michael :)

Nice, measured comment as per ;-) We DID have FS2000.. the mother of all poor sims (CFS3 excepted) and FS2002 was a great leap forward. The only one I still don't have is FS95 and I gave that away with a PC I made many moons ago :lol: FS2000 sit's a few feet away, laughing constantly in the background (cursed as was Damien) :lol: A lot of folk stayed with 2002 (many on here) and are only now moving to 2004 so for them (and me) there's still plenty of life left in the old dog yet ;-) I've never had a system fast enough to run 2004 maxed out at a speed I want to see so that is my primary goal. FSX can wait a while :cpu:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Having read many posts in the past regarding FSX I have already made up my mind not to move forward but stay as I am with FS9. Quite simply I have now got a system that runs FS beautifully, previously I was spending a lot of time trying various settings in order to balance performance with acceptable visual settings, now that appears to be affecting every-one who has purchased FSX. The last thing I want to have to do is.....do it all over again as there is absolutely no enjoyment in flight simming if you find that you are spending time doing a juggling act with settings and tweaks then, when finally airborne, sit there thinking................well, if I alter/change this and that...... :brick: :doho: Sorry but I will spend a few more years yet with FS2004.

So, where has it all gone wrong? Maybe Microsoft ought to take more notice of the dedicated flight simming world rather than their own interests, did we really need FSX on the market? Microsoft may say with moving forward and improving the operating systems so must FS in order to reap the best from it or rather....The time had come for a completely new and improved flight sim. :dance:....yeah well!!

Was there really a need to bring out FSX after all? Or should they have just concentrated on upgrading FS9 keeping the old engine i.e. codes, even if it meant paying. Many may say that upgrading FS9 would have meant redoing it completely however, even if that was the case in its' present format they could have acheived quite a lot. For instance (they may have this feature on FSX) but when it rains the ground gets wet, they do it with the snow in FS9 and also when flying into cloud water droplets form on the windshield... that occurs when it rains!! I won't bother you with my full wishlist but....given thought and consideration, Microsoft could have totally revamped FS9 in its' present form and produced a newer workable and highly improved platform that everyone would have been able to enjoy.

At this rate hopefully some-one will come along with something to challenge Microsoft in the sim world......Then, they will get their wake-up call!!

Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

As I've said before, regardless of the FSX or FS9, I can't think of any other game that has modeled the world pretty acurately and allows you to trave all over it to most of the airports in it... it will be a big ask for someone to beat.

Reading between the lines I'd say FSX is a stepping stone to a better modeled world which will be used in other sims (train / ship / etc) in the future... now a multiplayer where you are flying and your friend is piloting a ship or driving a train could be very interesting indeed. :dancer:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Exactly mate... I think I mentioned it here somewhere before, but can you imagine if they modeled all the ports in the world, and made a selection of ships, using the same engine as FS (I wouldn't think that would be too difficult) now imagine you could link the different sims together... I'll happily pay for a slice of that action. :dancer:

ImageImageImage

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

-
Last edited by airboatr on 24 Apr 2008, 04:42, edited 1 time in total.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

:dancer: :dance: :dancer: :dance: :dancer: :dance:

Now thats a song I haven't heard in a while :lol:

ImageImageImage

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Think I've just found the someone to challenge Microsofts' hold on the flight sim market, the graphics are better at altitude and this one is basically freeware...Now, all we have to do is import DM, Ricks' Dereks and not forgetting our newbee Garrys' aircraft in!! :roll: :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZuLpps9KBU

Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.