Comet INS

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

mgchristy
Trident
Trident

Comet INS

Post by mgchristy »

My apologies if this question has been posted before (I searched for similar topics, but didn't find an answer):

Were any civilian versions of the Comet ever equipped with Inertial Navigation Systems? I realize that the early versions wouldn't have had it, but was thinking of the latter years of it's operation perhaps. Wasn't quite sure what long range nav systems would've been used (Decca, LORAN, sextants, etc)? After mating the CIVA INS into DM's wonderful Comet, I began to wonder how authentic such a setup would be.

Thanks in advance! :)
Mark

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Comet INS

Post by DaveB »

Hi Mark..

No definative answer here I'm afraid but equally interested in what pop's up. One of our slightly 'older' members flew Victors during the Falklands conflict and this was the first time he'd ever had the luxury of INS (1982 for those not old enough to remember).. and this was ex-BA off one of the retired VC10 fleet :o I can't see Comet's having it fitted to be honest but you never know :think:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

horse

Post by horse »

Mark.
Spent many years with Qantas in Line Maint. Handled the BOAC Comets in Darwin and Singapore as well as
the Comets Leased by MAS in Singapore.
Did several trips from Singapore to KL and back, and all were on the Flight Deck.
As I remember there Nav and Autopilot was the Smiths Nav instruments and the SEP.2 Autopilot
same as in the 300 series Britannia's.In fact most of the items were interchangeable between aircraft.
Hope this is of some help.

Brian.H

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by 511Flyer »

Flew "Victors" in the Falklands conflict??

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Yes mate.. tankers ;-)

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Techy111
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Techy111 »

Read up about Op Black Buck.........Excellent use of the Victor Tankers.... ;-)

Tony
The last surviving and complete Vickers Vanguard....."Superb"
ImageImageImage

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by 511Flyer »

Thanks for filling in that gap in my education. :$

I've Googled for further information, and have enough sites earmarked to keep me busy for months.

Dennis.

mgchristy
Trident
Trident

Post by mgchristy »

Thank you for the info, Dave & Brian.

Dave,
Well, I really do learn something new everyday! I always assumed that by the 1970s, INS units were S.O.P in pretty much all trans-continental birds...particularly including BA VC10s. Thanks for the info! I was only 6 years old when the Falklands conflict broke out in '82. I actually remember the date fairly well...since my dad was still in the USAF then, and was coincidentally building a rather large-scale plastic BAE Harrier model (Hasegawa? Monogram?...can't recall for sure). He gave me a complete junior-league rundown on the plane & conflict then. Ahh...family memories! :lol:

Brian,
Thank you, as well. Might I mention that I am jealous of your experiences? :) I've got my PPL here in the US, but haven't flown in nearly 10 years...and the only 'jump seat' observer time I've ever logged was a brief 45 minute flight in a Hawker 800XP when I worked for NetJets in Columbus, Ohio. Sadly, that's the closest I've ever come to a "classic British" flight experience! What I wouldn't give for a jump-seat on a Comet...or Brittania...or Trident...or 707...or DC-8...or 747...or (list goes on and on!)...
Mark

RJP
Comet
Comet

Post by RJP »

Techy111 wrote:Read up about Op Black Buck.........Excellent use of the Victor Tankers.... ;-)

Tony
Absolutely!

On my last trip back to the sandpit I'd bought "Vulcan 607" to keep me amused and can recommend it.

It struck me that the work involved in getting an aeroplane 4,000 miles to the Falklands (& then back again of course) was staggering in both scale & complexity.
mgchristy wrote:jump-seat on a Comet...or Brittania...or Trident...or 707...or DC-8...or 747...or (list goes on and on!)...
I've done jump-seat trips on 3 of those 6. Sadly, the 'wrong' 3 :-(

Rgds
Richard
Click here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

horse

Post by horse »

Dave.
Have been fortunate to have had quite a few trips on the flightdecks or RH seat of several types.
DC3's and Beaver's in PNG. L1049 on several trips Sydney to Christchurch and Melbourne.
Comet, VC10, F27, B707, Brit 102 and 312 From Singapore to KL, Penang, Columbo, Bangkok, Darwin and Sydney.
B747 and B767 from Brisbane to POM in PNG., I did these flights about every Two months over a period of about Ten years.
Have flown in numerous light and ultalight aircraft over the past twenty odd years, both as pax and pilot.
If its seems like I am bragging " Well ". but it was part of the job.

Brian.H