Kai Tak

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Grace Quirrel

Kai Tak

Post by Grace Quirrel »

Despite the lack of of VC10, I have been flying around in Honkers in (horror) a TriStar and, of course, Kai Tak is closed.

Is there anyway to re-vitalise it (with checker board ideally) in FSX, or am I forever dammed to only fly into Chek Lap Kok?

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Kai Tak

Post by SkippyBing »

There's a reasonable version at http://www.swiremariners.com/cxhkg.html

It's no Nine Dragons, but it does the job pretty well. You'll still have Chep Lap Kok but the traffic is fairly well seperated.

Tarasdad
Comet
Comet

Post by Tarasdad »

Have you tried setting the date to before Kai Tak was closed? Don't know if it'll do anything, but worth a try.

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

Use Jim Vile's version from FlightSim / AVSIM

or you could use the one from CalClassic as well, it works pretty decent in FSX too.
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image
Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

Dan, Jim Vile's is also at the link I posted although I did have to check. It's part of a web site for ex-Swire/Cathy Pacific group employees so there's loads of repaints etc. for FS9 and FSX as well as an upgrade for the new airport if I understand the blurb correctly (no interest in the new one as I've never flown into it and it's not really a challenge!)

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

You are of course absolutely right!

I also use swiremarines every now and then...

sometimes though I've seen them be a little behind/not updated, but else they are indeed a very good site.

No I have no interest in the new VHHH either....

"Real men flies IGS13..." :lol: :lol:
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image

Grace Quirrel

Post by Grace Quirrel »

You chaps are the best, thank you.

There isn't a specific Kai Tak download for FSX from Calclassic.com, but if you say it works Dan, I'll give it a go.
Jim Vile's version looks complicated to install (to a numpty like me) but, again, I'll give it a try.

:thumbsup:

Grace Quirrel

Post by Grace Quirrel »

I did it! Downloaded Jim Vile's file and I can now shoot curved approaches to Kai Tak. I am lacking static and AI traffic but I can live without that if necessary.

Thanks again guys, you are the best! :welldone: :welldone: :welldone:

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

Grace Quirrel wrote:I did it! Downloaded Jim Vile's file and I can now shoot curved approaches to Kai Tak. I am lacking static and AI traffic but I can live without that if necessary.
I'm using 9 Dragons in FS9 but hopefully these same principles will apply in FSX. With the patient help and advice of the guys on the forum, particularly Dan and Peter, I used TTools to divert all the scheduled traffic from Chek Lap Kok to Kai Tak. Using World of AI traffic, I just had to add VHHX to the airports list and then change all references to VHHH to VHHX in the flight plans for each airline - which is easier than it sounds! With CLK's greater capacity than Kai Tak you might need to reduce the traffic to prevent go-arounds and queues for take-off such as in this screenshot. Dan would be the best person to advise on whether this can be done in FSX. I would think so as I believe they used Jim Vile's approach in 9 Dragons.

Ian :)

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

Yes it can, and yes they did, although they never got the official permission from Jim .....

I haven't tried 9D in FSX, as they stated that it was for FS9 only .. but it wouldn't hurt to try I think...

But I like the CalClassic version better, and it suits my AI-traffic from the 70'ies better.
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image