Lancaster for FSX

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DogTailRed2
Concorde
Concorde

Lancaster for FSX

Post by DogTailRed2 »

Hi,

is their one or is anyone creating one.
Wouldn't mind a payware if it was accurate.

Regards,

Ted.

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Lancaster for FSX

Post by DaveB »

Hi Ted :)

I don't know of an FSX 'native' Lanc in the making though there may be one. However.. DG's tired but worthy old soldier works fine in FSX as do the Wings of Power and Plane Design (Ed Walters) models. I've flown to the Ruhr and back MP in FSX with 5 or 6 other CBFSimmers and we used a mix'n'match of all 3 ;-) Not sure about the JustFlight release.. no one owned up to having it :lol:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

DogTailRed2
Concorde
Concorde

Post by DogTailRed2 »

Ooooh, I have the Wings of Power (come to think of it a Vulcan as well) Lanc on disc...somewhere...but didn't realise they worked okay in FSX. If I can find it I'll give it a go.

Never tried multiplayer before. Might give it a go. You guys planning anything in the future?
Guess everyone has to have the same aircraft loaded or you just see a default cessna or two.

Regards,

Ted.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Ted :)

We don't plan anything on that scale again mate. We lost one pilot to 'Her indoors' as we hit the Dutch coast.. another pilot was lost to flak (lost his internet connection) over the second dam.. another put down in Dortmund I think (he joined us from Spain and was an hour ahead) and in the end.. only Ben and I made it back to Scampton some 5hrs after takeoff :lol:

I had all available Lancs on my system so that they'd show correctly in the sim (for me in case of screenies). You might be interested to know that much if not all of the WoP bombers work a treat in FSX. Just be aware of the different file structures and you'll be fine. I have a new folder called Aircraft (rather than airplanes) and plonk all of my FS9 aircraft in there. You have to add a line in your FSX.cfg to make sure FSX looks there but other than that.. no problemo ;-)

ATB

ImageImage

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

DaveB wrote:Hi Ted :)

We lost one pilot to 'Her indoors' as we hit the Dutch coast..
LMAOO ! Was that Herr Indoors, the famous nightfighter pilot ? :lol:

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think that would be the very same. I seem to remember something about plumbing and washing machines.. not necessarily what the Luftwaffe were famous for but the machine in question may have been a Bosch :lol:

ATB

ImageImage

Hot_Charlie
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Hot_Charlie »

DaveB wrote: Not sure about the JustFlight release.. no one owned up to having it :lol:
What, you seriously believe they'd release a retail add-on for FS9 just before FSX was released and then be ready with an update...

...within 2 years...

...or ever!
Charlie

[Intentionally Blank]

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The JF Lanc was available and even if not fully FSX compatible, neither were DG's 2002 model, Ed's PD model or the WoP model. However, the last 3 were represented ;-)

ATB

ImageImage

Upkeep
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Upkeep »

Hi Guys - hope you don't mind a newcomer dropping in on diversion from my usual airfield !

I'm a longtime Lancaster fan (50+ years), having inherited the disease from my dad, who was ground crew on Lancs during the war. He also ended up working at Christ's Hospital. Barnes Wallis's old school, and he met the man several times - I think you can probably see the picture emerging . . .

Anyway, that said, I'm relatively new to flight simming. About 3 years ago I noticed an advert for the CFS2/JF Dambuster package on very cheap offer and bought it just for grins, not expecting very much (I hadn't seen any FS since the very early wire frame days). I loaded it up and was pleasantly surprised by the cockpit detail, but the minute I managed to start the engines I was hooked (I still think they are the best engine sounds of any FS Lanc).

Suffice to say things have moved on ! I graduated pretty quickly through FS9 to FSX, with the usual array of additional hardware (yoke, throttles pedals etc) which I know you folks will understand !

Naturally I was keen to run Lancasters on the later flightsims, since (I think ?) the models from the CFS2/DB pack could not be uplifted.

The much vaunted AH/JF version was on the horizon, but I found the PD offering on the net, ordered and installed that (on FS9), and it remains my favourite model to this day. I recently uplifted it to FSX andit works just fine there too. (The only problem I found was the 'solid' prop disks, and that was easily fixed - although it would be nice if someone told the FSX shadow engine, which still shows them as solid shadows on the ground !) And of course I've flown to the dams many times, though not in MP at night - that does sound like fun !

I did buy the AH/JF version when it was released, and boy what a disappointment ! Apart from the external innaccuracies which others have mentioned, did they actually beta that thing ? The most noticeable thing for me were the engine controls and indicators, which were completely at odds with the external views. Someone had gotten it into their heads that the engines were numbered 3,4,2,1 (the normal Lanc startup sequence) and mapped the controls and indicators accordingly. Lots of correspondence with JF followed, and this was fixed in SP1 - unless of course you were using external controls (like the CH throttles), in which case they are still mapped to the wrong engines, even on the 'FSX Ready' or 'FSX Certified' version currently being advertised. Add to that the fact the the textures take an age to load (talk about watching paint dry), and the thing is virtually unflyable. Never mind all the wonderful internal detail. Don't touch it.

Which (i.e. talking of engines) brings me back to the real reason for this overlong post. There is (I think) only one thing about the PD Lancaster that has me stumped. Try as I might, if I shut down the engines, I can't restart them, so I can't start up cold and dark (like I used to do on the JF/DB Lancs). I've followed the Pilot's Notes (original and PD versions) to the letter, and although I can turn the engines over, they never fire. FSX and FS9 helpfully tell me to try an automatic start using CTL+E, but that just does the same thing.

I see a lot of support for the PD model (if I'm not mistaken, the designer is on here somewhere too !), so I'm sure someone can point me in the right direction. Any help appreciated !
"Goner G-George. That's All."

DogTailRed2
Concorde
Concorde

Post by DogTailRed2 »

"Which (i.e. talking of engines) brings me back to the real reason for this overlong post. There is (I think) only one thing about the PD Lancaster that has me stumped. Try as I might, if I shut down the engines, I can't restart them, so I can't start up cold and dark (like I used to do on the JF/DB Lancs). I've followed the Pilot's Notes (original and PD versions) to the letter, and although I can turn the engines over, they never fire. FSX and FS9 helpfully tell me to try an automatic start using CTL+E, but that just does the same thing."

I have had this problem with several aircraft. Try the following.
First load the default cessna and enable the batts, mags and then start the engine. Stop the engine then switch to the Lancaster.
Try and start the engines from cold, does this work?

Second check you have fuel (after a crash I started with 0% fuel for aome reason), check the batts are on. Check the mags are on. Check mixture is set to rich.
Crack the throttles then press the starter repeatedly.

My theory is that if you have a switch in an aircraft, say for mags, and that is switched off. Then you switch to another aircraft that does not have that switch then you have a catch 22 situation and the engines never start.

BTW where can I download the PD lancaster?