Bristol Britannia from me...

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Speedbird217
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Re: Bristol Britannia from me...

Post by Speedbird217 »

Looks a great model and I have just flown the RAF version from Baghdad to Brize - great fun.

I'm sure it won't be too long before we see repaints of Monarch, Lloyd International, Donaldson International, Treffield and any others that saw British service.

Did Northeast Airlines ever operate the Britannia - I know they were born out of BKS?

I'm trying some experiments with mixing sound files from a Tu95, the aforementioned Proteus and any other I find......very much WIP.

A big thanks to Jens....(CL44 next?)

Cheers,
Robin

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

Did Northeast Airlines ever operate the Britannia - I know they were born out of BKS?
IIRC the Britannias had moved on before Northeast. I only remember seeing Viscounts and Tridents in the yellow scheme.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Well I have to say, I prefer the Brit over the Vanguard. The Vanguard is very smart/modern looking, whereas the Brit, for me, wins for its sheer elegance
I am sorely disappointed :o The Britannia doesn't even look British! :roll:

Dear oh dear :brick:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Cathy Howat
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Cathy Howat »

Funny Brit story. EL AL operated Brits for some years (FSX Repaint anyone). One day in the early 60's the El AL station manager at New York came on duty to find a large dog in a crate, consigned to Tel Aviv. The flight was not leaving for some hours, and he was a dog lover. He sent his secretary to the Flight Kitchens to get some meat, and got a bowl of wate, found a tennis ball, and made up a lead. Fered Doggie, took dofggie for alk and threw ball for delighted doggie, gave him a good pat and brush. popped him backj in his crate and loaded him aboard the Brit, which duly departed. On return from his office, there was a telegram he had overlooked from EL AL Ops in Tel Aviv. It read. "To Station Manager New York. CAUTION Canadian Timber wolf ex LA Zoo routed via yur Station Enrout Tel Aviv Zoo, dangerous, do not approach"! ;-)

Actually I was invovled in the wolf breeding program at Melbourne Zoo as a volunteer, and wolves are no dangerous, the are in fact, intelligent, and very social animals "my' wolves were a delight
cathy

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

:lol: That's a great story, Cathy. Thanks for sharing it. :)

Brian

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

Notheast did operate them well this 102 which was originally BOAC then purchased by BKS in 1965 and transfered to Northeast in 1970

BKS fleet list here
http://website.lineone.net/~biggles200/fleethis.htm
AMD Phenom II X4 BE 965 @ 3.80GHz
nVidia GTX 560 TI 448 Cores

Speedbird217
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Speedbird217 »

Thanks for that Tony.

Heathrow to Newcastle in one of those would have been a treat.

I was a spotty spotter in the 70's when I frequently saw the Donaldson and Lloyd Brits at Abbotsinch, as it liked to be known then. Love it or not it's an important subject and good to see a new version that is aesthetically closer to the real thing - in my book.

Cheers
Robin

Buggyman
VC10
VC10

Post by Buggyman »

Flew back to the UK from Aden in one operated by BUA. Came back via Sharjah and Nicosia and it took 14 hours. Have had a soft spot for the old girl ever since.

ATB

Allan

Chris558
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris558 »

DaveB wrote:
Well I have to say, I prefer the Brit over the Vanguard. The Vanguard is very smart/modern looking, whereas the Brit, for me, wins for its sheer elegance
I am sorely disappointed :o The Britannia doesn't even look British! :roll:

Dear oh dear :brick:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
I was originally going to add in my post, a "Sorry Dave!" But then I thought Dave, you'd respond with a "Each to their own" reply. Well, I must now say it then.....Sorry Dave! :lol:

As I say, I like the Vanguards modern appearance and it wouldn't look out of date against todays Turboprops (except for its 2 additional engines!) And that nose shape is very cool! Bit like a Nimrod nose but better. But come on, the old Brit is the most elegant prop airliner there is, or was, apart from the Connie. That pointy nose, sweeping fin. I think it looks very British - several British types had that curved fin. including the VC10.

I'd be intersted to know how you came to like the Vanguard, Dave. Was it just the shape, did you grow up with them or fly on one?

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

Notheast did operate them well this 102 which was originally BOAC then purchased by BKS in 1965 and transfered to Northeast
So it would seem - that was the year that my Heathrow spotting diminished from 100% to 1% when I went to university 120 miles away - so must have missed that one!

http://www.pprune.org/aviation-history- ... tails.html

Just that one in occasional service - but it never acquired the yellow colour scheme