Bristol Britannia from me...

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Re: Bristol Britannia from me...

Post by DispatchDragon »

Ian

I see John James features prominently in that thread -- I flew with him a couple of times - but mostly with Keith Manktelow, Dick Richards, Len Midgley , and Bob McNay , It always amazes me that the Britannia was an aircraft of extremes, you loved it or hated it -- as someone else said over at PPrune -- I loved it because I could make good per-diem on it unlike the DC8
which literally raced around IAS's African circuit in three days.

Leif

jensbk
Meteor
Meteor

Post by jensbk »

I'm looking into the CL-44 at the moment. The CC-106 Yukon is easy enough, because it had the Britannia nose (just a little modified) and I have actually made it already - the problem is that I have not been able to find any information at all about the cockpit/panel! Can you help? The same goes for the civil CL-44.

The swing-tail CL-44D and the CL-44J are certainly also on my 'to-do-list' (But so are other aircraft ;-) )

Best regards

Jens
Jens B Kristensen
Hobby FS modeller

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DispatchDragon »

Jens

Try the Flight International Archives -- I think Garry and I found a cockpit cutaway for the Yukon.

There are some good shots of the 44 flight deck around - it was a lot more modern than the Brit.

Please may I ask ONE favor??? Can you modernise the Avionic's on the Britannia -- prehaps Frasers Vanguard or

Viscount avionics panel -- and the one thing that I miss on the Britannia -- it had the most dolls eyes I have ever

seen on any aircraft, it was rather fun watching them changed from stripes to "run" or "open"

Leif

Cathy Howat
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Cathy Howat »

For Jens
1) Any chance of an AL EL repaint (It was an AL EL Brit that flew Eichmann back)

2) I know it's out of your era :flying: , but any chance of a BAE 146?
cathy

jensbk
Meteor
Meteor

Post by jensbk »

Hello Leif,

>Try the Flight International Archives

I will. I have found much interesting information there.

>There are some good shots of the 44 flight deck around - it was a lot more modern than the Brit.

Where? I have only found one bad photo of the Conroy Guppy mod of the CL44D

>Can you modernise the Avionic's on the Britannia

I have made the avionics on the Britannia by studying the flight manuals. I have a very detailed description of the panel(s) here at home. I think I have included almost everything the original aircraft had, at least on the main panel, or have I missed something?

>the one thing that I miss on the Britannia -- it had the most dolls eyes I have ever seen on any aircraft, it was rather fun watching them changed from stripes to "run" or "open"

Please explain ;-)

Thanks for your interest!

Best regards

Jens
Jens B Kristensen
Hobby FS modeller

JohnD
Victor
Victor

Post by JohnD »

What a great surprise thanks Jens. I have been using Mike Stone's Britannia a few times but unfortunately have had trouble with it.
This one is terrific and flies very well and in FSX as well! :welldone:

The Britannia was the first aircraft I flew in. It was from Stansted to Aden in June 1962. It was BUA series 307 G-ANCE and return trip in November 1963 was in G-ANCD. Interestingly the passenger seats were facing backwards as in all RAF trooping flights. :dancer:

My other two flights in Britannias were on holiday flights from Luton to Munich (Holiday in Austria - 4 hour coach trip from Munich!). These were G-AOVN and G-AOVT (now preserved at Duxford).

So this has always been a favourite of mine.

Any repaints in these colours would be brilliant. Oh how I wish I could paint maybe I will have a go

Thanks again Jens.

Regards

John
I have the mind of an athlete, but the body of a spectator.

jensbk
Meteor
Meteor

Post by jensbk »

I have just uploaded a 'paint kit' for the Britannia to Classic British Files ("The Pond"). It contains four texture files in layered Photoshop format, there is a template layer in each of them to assist you in your work, and I have included my own BOAC B312-textures to show you where to add your own colour scheme.

I hope some of you will find it useful. Some experience with various graphics programs and other tools is required, and this is not explained in the file.

Best regards

Jens
Jens B Kristensen
Hobby FS modeller

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DispatchDragon »

Ive posted it at The Pond , Jens -- and YES the thumbnail is a hint to someone!! :)

Leif

Techy111
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Techy111 »

Cheers Jens.....Leif...you still interested in what you wanted over at the pond mate.... ;-)

Tony
The last surviving and complete Vickers Vanguard....."Superb"
ImageImageImage

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DispatchDragon »

yep , but remember what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas ;)

Leif