Install DM's Aircraft in FSX

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DavidK
Victor
Victor

Re: Install DM's Aircraft in FSX

Post by DavidK »

PaulC wrote: i) In the aircraft selection section, it doesn't show the pictures of the 1-11, just various FS default aircraft and...

ii) The APU and consequently the engines will not start from the checklists. The APU indicates "START" but doesn't go blank or progress to "RUN". The engines spool up a little but not enough to start. It does start on Ctrl+E but using that option goes against every fibre in my body!!
Hi Paul,

Not sure what's going on as regards (i), but, as regards (ii), I've found that Ctrl+E seems to be the only method that works in FSX. (I imagine it's the co-pilot who starts the stardboard engine but forgets to switch the fuel pumps on!)

As regards the APU, I find it's reading RUN by the time I next look at the overhead panel, e.g. to put the engines in RELIGHT mode. Maybe that's realistic..?

As regards,
David

PS Do you know anything about this kind of behaviour..?

DavidK
Victor
Victor

Post by DavidK »

Hi again Paul,

If by (i) above you mean there's just the default question-mark-over-aircraft-silhouette thumbnail, I've made FSX thumbnails for many of the 1-11 liveries available, so could pass (some of) them on. (I usually make one for each new registration I fly.)

David

PaulC
VC10
VC10

Post by PaulC »

No. Mine does grey out momentarily when I cycle views back to the VC, but graphics are pure magic to me!

PaulC
VC10
VC10

Post by PaulC »

Where do I place these thumbnails?

Paul

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Paul

Thumbnails go in the aircrafts texture folder so you need a thumbnail for each paint in it's corresponding texture folder ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

DavidK
Victor
Victor

Post by DavidK »

PaulC wrote:No. Mine does grey out momentarily when I cycle views back to the VC, but graphics are pure magic to me!
Well, I agree -- but now, alas, in the past tense: they were magic with the nVidia 7600 card. Now, with the nVidia 8800 card, they're just a shadow of their former self. Wish I could work out or stumble on why and then restore them to their rightful glory.

Something I forgot to mention is that the virtual cockpit interiors of the other CBFS aircraft I'm currently flying, Rick P's HS 748 / 780, have survived unchanged -- hence my hope that there is a solution to the greyed-out 1-11 interiors.

David

PaulC
VC10
VC10

Post by PaulC »

When I say magic I mean I have no idea how they work. My graphics are far from magic.

DavidK
Victor
Victor

Good news / bad news

Post by DavidK »

I've spent some more time trying to overcome the greyed-out BAC 1-11 virtual cockpit interiors and thought I'd see what happened if I rolled FSX back to service pack 1 and tried loading the model. There was no change -- but, after restoring service pack 2, the interiors were back in place!

That's the good news. The bad news is that FSX now freezes a few moments after starting a flight with the 1-11 or switching to it from another (default) plane. Since, though, I've now seen the interiors again, I'm going to take (another) deep breath and try building up FSX-plus-additions from scratch once again, but this time even more carefully -- i.e. no more than one change or addition at a time, no matter how small they seem. Hopefully, I'll finally reach a situation where I'm given all the graphics without any freeze-ups or program-crashes.
PaulC wrote:When I say magic I mean I have no idea how they work. My graphics are far from magic.
If/when you can afford £250 to £300, getting a computer with a multi-core CPU, at least 4 GB of RAM and an nVidia 8xxx graphics card (cost me £50 secondhand) has made all the difference here, even with only a handful of changes to the display settings FSX assigns to the new card. The mantra I picked up while looking into graphics cards and FSX was that a faster CPU is at least as important as an improved graphics card (presumably, for all those physics calculations before the terrain etc is constructed by the graphics card).

David

psolov
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by psolov »

Hello All,

I am new to this forum and have a question. I downloaded the BAC 1-11 510E as per the tutorial at the start of this thread. Everything worked great and the planes look fantastic. However, when I went to add the 200 and 400 variants the palnes do not show up in the FSX aircraft selection screen. Since I installed those exactly the same way as the first set I am wondering why these planes don't appear. I am assuming that I am doing something wrong but can't think of what it can be. Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers, Pete

DavidK
Victor
Victor

Post by DavidK »

Hi, Pete -- apologies not to've picked up your message earlier.

DaveG's question in the next post sounds a strong contender as a culprit, so read on...

David
Last edited by DavidK on 10 Oct 2011, 09:29, edited 1 time in total.