Install DM's Aircraft in FSX

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: Install DM's Aircraft in FSX

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Ian, its an FS9 model and the baskets aren't actually part of the model. It would be possible to do something like this using the new SDK for FSX but it would mean rebuilding the model for FSX and much as I'd love that I think there is more chance of me winning the lottery than DM going back and remaking the ten. Sorry mate, just the way it is I'm affraid. : :)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

ianastles
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by ianastles »

Hi ben thats for your reply, its a real shame but its still an amazing model. Whats this SDK you mention? Sorry for being a twonk but not up to date on FSX goings on.

Cheers

Ian

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi Ian

SDK is Software Developement Kit and it is used in building the model and sets how it functions and displays for the particular Sim.

What is meant here is that the model was built using the FS.9 SDK not the FS.X SDK which simply means the model was built for FS.9 , not FS.X so with not work in FS.X as well as it would if is was built to the FS.X SDK

As Ben mentions the model would have to be rebuilt for FS.X to be fully compatible.

A model built to the FS.X SDK is often reffered to as FSX native as opposed to FS.9 portover.....which the VC 10 is.
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Hi There, First post and all that!
Hope someone my be able to help me with installing Davids cracking aircraft in FSX
My problem is although I can install any of his models either into airplanes folder or creating another sim objects path and folder When trying to select the aircraft in the free flight screen it takes ages to come up on the rotating plane dispay at the bottom of the screen. Once there however and the flight sim is up and running, the aircraft looks fine. flies ok and all the gauges auto pilot etc work really well
After 5 or six times one of DMs aircraft are used FSX will crash and have to be reinstalled
A am running MS Vista 32bit
I have installed lots of other aircraft into both airplanes and aircraft folders and all work fine ( maybe the odd missing gauge )!!
I would really like to use Davids aircraft as they take me back to when us brits made the best aircraft in the world!! :agree:
Regards
Dale

h
Image Image Image

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Dale,

Welcome to the mad house :)
This sounds like a performance issue on the PC. The only one that takes a while to come up is the Comet. Can you give us a list of your PC spec, including disk config? When you say FSX needs to be reinstalled, do you mean restarted?

ImageImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol:

I hope he means restarted Ben! :lol: Dale.. at first start of the day, my FSX takes ages (and I MEAN ages) before it finally winds up and that is (at the moment) the default Cessna at Valley. Should I change any single parameter (the time for example) this extends the start time yet further. Subsequent starts take a fair bit less ;)
No idea what's causing the crashing I'm afraid. I'd not think it'd be one of DM's aircraft.. sounds like memory but that's a guess.

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Cheers guys for quick replies
Overview of computer Intel 4 dual core 2.00ghz
memory 2gb
250gb hd1 (OS)
82.5gb hd2 (FSX)
ATI radeon hd2400
OS Vista home premium 32bit
PC ( home build) is about 3yrs old now and runs nothing other than FSX now
Could do with speeding up a bit now but runs all other aircraft fine Native FSX ones and other ones that I have downloaded Brabazon Britannia All of Thomas Ruths Airbusses to name but a few!! only Davids aircraft seem to cause the problem
FSX starts up in about 15 seconds to either home page or free flight, depending on where it was shut down. If I select a native or a "working" aircraft it is shown within a second or so on the rotating display at the bottom. If I select one of Davids aircraft I wait say 10 seconds before the aircraft is shown without texture I then wait about 20 seconds before the aircraft is textured and then the aircraft starts to rotate During this time the egg timer is present (circly thing!)
I would live with this as a short wait is no hassle FSX will then load maps and scenery object etc before being plonked at the end of a runway at the controls of an impressive Trident But the big sting in the tail is after 5 or so sessions FSX will shut down as normal but then will not restart. This seems to happen if the last used aircraft is one of DMs. The only cure I have found is to remove FSX and reinstall loosing all of your pilot records in the process!
Regards
Dale
Image Image Image

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Dale,

From what I've found on that ATI card its a bit on the low spec side. It has a similar spec to an ATI card I had 5 years ago on FS9 (9700pro I think it was.) The probable reason for your slow display times is possibly due to DM's textures being 32-bit. He provides a little tool in each aircraft to convert the textures to something your card may find more manageable, see here http://www.dmflightsim.co.uk/notes_on_f ... #CONVERTER on his website ;)

ImageImageImage

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

I get a draw delay on 32 bit textures, they are four times the size of DXT.3
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

That's a good point Garry ;) How do 32-bit compare with say DXT5 or .dds (as it's FSX) size-wise *-) I don't get any problems with DXT3 in FSX though ultimately, native models generally load and look better for obvious reasons :)

Ben.. it may well be longer than 5 years ago that you had the 9700pro mate. It was a blindingly good card when it first came out but by todays standards, it would show it's age. I ran it for years before it finally blew up (and a sad day that was too) :( If as you say the ATI Dale is using is similar in performance to the 9700pro.. that would be an area to look at during any upgrade ;)

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!