Install DM's Aircraft in FSX

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Re: Install DM's Aircraft in FSX

Post by Garry Russell »

Some of the models at least, on the list have FS.X version made with the FS.9 SDK

Davids are true FS.9 models and also complex with the VC so all that adds up.

I don't know about DDS.......I tried DXT.5 and DXT.1 on the spinners but don't remember offhand which one I used as one was corrupt but not the other despite them being the same texture.

I don't normally use DXT apart from DXT.3 you it was new territory for me.

I can't check as they are on my lost HD and the PC doesn't have any of the programmes loaded yet so I can't read off the backups.

Whatever I used I think it may have been half a DXT.3

The upshot is, the experimental model loads into the viewport and game textured where as the full model come in grey with sometime a few textures, sometime none then they can be seen wrapping arround in an instant. So an appreciable load delay.

No probs once they are into the game where again they can be seen loading a instant after the model but obviously that heavy processer drain remains and is bound to have an effect somewhere.
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Yup.. this is where true FSX SDK built models have a distinct advantage. It's worth noting that there's absolutely nothing wrong with the FS9 models coming out of this factory or many others.. far from it.. they excel in the sim they were written for and work admirably well in FSX :) The simplest way to help avoid initial (and possibly subsequent) load times is as suggested.. convert the 32-Bit textures to DXT3 which seems to work fine in FSX.

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

parksie10
Meteor
Meteor

Post by parksie10 »

Hi there,

I've had a system crash and have had to reinstall my whole sim. What a mission. Thank God for back ups. However I've not got a small problem. I've reinstalled DM's Trident and BAC 1-11 everything works, except that some of the textures in the VC are missing. Other than the main, center and other panels I have no color on the trim wheels, throttles, sides, seats, sidewalls etc, Hope you get the picture. What in heck have I done wrong. It must be something so obvious I'm gonna kick myself. I've uninstalled and reinstalled twice and now joy. Good old FSX seems to be driving me mad. :worried:
Proudly HS748 and Proudly South African!!

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Hi Guys
Reinstalled the Trident today and as suggested converted the textures to DXT
Although nowhere near as fast to select form the free flight screen as a native model, it seems quicker that in 32bit
Had the same problem as the previous poster, in that some of the VC textures were missing but copied the effects and textures back into the FSX folders that were lost during the last uninstall All ok after. I would agree that the VC is much more complex and this could be where the PC is struggling. Will check to see if there is any difference in the load times between the VC and non VC models. Looks a good excuse for an upgrade anyhow!
No crashes yet PC or otherwise :lol: Nice flight Heathrow to Venice.this evening ILS and full autoland
Must get out more :worried:
Regards
Dale
Image Image Image

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hell Dale.. why get out more! :lol: Glad the suggestions have improved things for you. I'm certain you'll see a difference in load times between the VC and non-VA models too so go for that if you're not a great fan of VC's ;) I always flew the non-VC until I got a faster pc and now I fly the VC model. I don't use the VC mind you.. it's more a case of knowing you can if you want to :lol:
A good spot on the missing textures. I'm a bit surprised parksie didn't read back a little but hopefully, he will next time he comes to this thread ;)

There's ALWAYS an excuse for a pc upgrade (and mostly, they're valid too) :lol: The problem comes when you have to get it past the 'frau'. Walking on hot coals is sometimes a less painful option ;)

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

trewinb
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by trewinb »

I had great difficulty getting textures to display until I created a separate Aircraft file and changed the FSX.cfg accordingly. However I still don't get all of the textures in the VC to display (BAC 111). Any advice?

PeteH
Viscount
Viscount

Post by PeteH »

Don't know about a separate Aircraft file and changing the FSX.cfg. I have all DM's aircraft in FSX with just the Aircraft file and the DMFS file in Sim Objects\Airplanes, effects in the Effects folder and the VC textures in the FSX Texture folder. The last bit is important as if they are not there they won't show.

I also convert textures to DXT5 where possible but on occasion I have found that for some reason they don't show. Just experiment.

Pete
Thinking does not necessarily make it so.

RDrr
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by RDrr »

DanKH wrote:To be able to see DX10 repaints in FSX, the original texures has to be "DX10-sified"
I believe that this is the problem we are having. I'm building a couple of flight sims for my Air Cadet Squadron.

We are using DX10 mode on modern hardware - DX9 performance is very poor unfortunately. We are desperate to use DM's superb VC-10, however the dreaded "plaster aircraft" with just the bare model and no textures, is preventing us from doing so.

Please could someone advise on whether texture format is the issue, and how we can quickly and effectively solve the problem?

Glad to finally sign up here, fantastic corner of the FS community! :cheers:

RDrr

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi RDrr and welcome aboard.

DX9 performance should be superb on modern hardware. Have you been to the Microsoft site and downloaded the updates?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/d ... layLang=en
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

RDrr
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by RDrr »

I'm afraid that this isn't the case. We're running GTX 470s and as with cards of this generation, their drivers are optimised for DX10 performance. On top of this, DX10 is more efficient (i.e. gives better performance) for each rendering pass than DX9. Although switching to DX9 mode is a quick fix, it sacrifices both performance and quality.

Does anyone have experience with using FS9/FSX vanilla models with FSX Acceleration/SP2/DX10. I know for a fact that things like Addon Converter X merely converts textures to DX10 readable formats using (Free!) FSX SDK tools, which is perhaps the solution? However paying $20 for the priveledge of doing something that can be done manually, if only people would share the knowledge, is obscene!

Any help you can give would be appreciated!

RDrr