Saying hello

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Re: Saying hello

Post by speedbird591 »

Canberra Man wrote:My FS discs are too old for Vista and I can't afford top replace them. Pleased to be with you all.
Hello Ken. Pleased to have a bit of young blood around the place for a change!

You can pick up a copy of FS2004 on eBay for £10-12 and that runs fine on Vista. Just ease off on the sherry for a couple of days and you'll be able to afford it!

Ian ;-)

Canberra Man
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Canberra Man »

More tales from the RAF
A Canberra is going on a NAVex and I'm out front controlling things. I point to the port engine, a nod from the pilot, there's a bang from the turbo starter, a cloud of black smoke and No 1 settles down to idle. I point to the starboard engine and all hell is let loose, the turbo starter explodes, throwing red hot turbine blades through the fuselage wall and into number one fuel tank, kerosene pours out over the still burning remains of the starter cartridge and the whole lot goes up. The air crew are out in ten seconds flat and even had their parachutes, they had to, they would have had pay for them otherwise! A phone call to the fire section had their brand new fire engine (just out of the box the day before) coming round the peri track. It drew up in front of the blaze and an erk in gents natty asbetos suiting jumped down and pointed a huge pipe at the inferno and shouted. "Send it froo". Noffink came 'froo', they had been so busy polishing their new toy, they hadn't fill the tank with foam. So we're all standing in a big circle, and carried on warming our hands, It was January! Then there was a brilliant flash as the cockpit coaming and the wheel hubs, which were a magnesium alloy burnt out. Then someone muttered. "How about the ejector seats". So we all backed off another few yards and sure enough, there was triple explosion and three steel tubes with the remains of the seats still attached flew a couple of hundred feet into the air. The next morning there was black sillhouette of a Canberra burnt into the tarmac with two Avons still in situ! There were new faces at the fire section within a few days!

Ken

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Thanks for that Ken

A great read :)

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

Good One Ken

I can just see the fire wallas trying to explain that one

Leif

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

Belated welcome Ken, and thanks for that last post - good read.

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

Hi Ken and welcome.I'm sure that you'll soon feel at home here.Best Wishes EricT :)
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

Canberra Man
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Canberra Man »

We have a funny fault on a Canberra, after about 20 minutes flying, both engines lose power, down about 30%. The engine mechs and fitters are beaten after trying every thing in the book. Rolls Royce are contacted and in due course the 'Boffin' arrives. He carries out an engine run after which she is pushed into the hangar. The 'boffin' turned ti the lads and told them to get the cowlings and panels off, that wasn't his job. To say he got under everybodies skin was an understatement. On the second day, our sgt saw me and told me some of the lads at dispersal thought one of No 1 tank fuel pumps was noisy, would I have a listen and if there was a problem, the pump could be changed while she was grounded. I went back into the hangar, no one appeared to be around, so I went into the cockpit, switched the power on and switched both pumps on. There then came a strange noise, half shout, half gurgle. Then 'it' appeared, the boffin, covered in kerosene from head to feet. He gurgled and bubbled the words to the effect he was reporting me to the flight sgt. He squelched away and returned. His words, when I could make them out was. "The flt sgt wants to see you, your for it!" I went to the office, smelly following me (still sqelching) I tapped on the door and a stern bade me enter. Smelly went his way and I entered the office and shut the door. \as soon as the door shut, chiefy grinned and said. "Good show, when that b-----r gets on the other engine, do it again, he's been getting on our nerves, I've just told the CO and he's still laughing. A new boffin arrived and he got the job done.

Ken

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

Hilarious Ken, many thanks. :thumbsup:

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Great stuff! They would have had to have paid for their parachutes if they'd left them behind ? Seriously ?