Heathrow 1966 Work in Progress

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DarrenL
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Heathrow 1966 Work in Progress

Post by DarrenL »

DaveB wrote:Hope you don't mean 'On the buses' .. an old ITV comedy series with Reg Varney. It's currently doing the rounds (again) on ITV3 and has lost a lot of it's 'old world' charm 8) :lol:

ATB

DaveB B)smk
It's aged badly but the redecorating episode is still one of the best single take scenes in front of an live studio audience episodes around. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0hBDAIaYpk

Fodda
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by Fodda »

Yeah, it has dated badly. But still the chance to get a glimpse of a Lodecker in some scenes. Sometimes more than one. I love the sight of a couple of good Bristols.

Anyway, the decorating... Bruce and Norman did it SO much better back gawd alone knows when.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmDyTUNZexg

Fodda
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by Fodda »

YAAAAY! Just realised how far off topic this has come in the space of four posts! :welldone:

:cheers: *proud as punch* :Dance:

paul26may
Lightning
Lightning

Post by paul26may »

I use this as my desktop and have been hoping someone would recreate for MSFS!
Heathrow 1967.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/British- ... eb1f3c4b36

Can't wait!

DavidK
Victor
Victor

Post by DavidK »

I haven't read this thread through, so if there is some functioning Heathrow 1966 scenery that'd (probably) work in FSX, I'm interested.

My computer setup isn't that powerful, so I prefer those sceneries that are an improvement on the default but not too complicated, such as David M's Manchester 1975 scenery. (I also think it looks much more stylish than renditions of the airport as it is today.)

David K

trewinb
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by trewinb »

Can FS9 scenery be installed in FSX and if so (presuming the texyures are compatible, how is this done? I have just switched over to FSX on a new computer and am struggling to learn how to use the SDK and related utilities. Have to block off some time. Wish it would snow more in the south west of France. When in Canada I could always count on a week or so of howling weather to get some modelling done in FS9.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi trewinb :hello:

I guess you add FS9 scenery in FSX in exactly the same way you would in FS9.. via Addon Scenery. The benefit you have with FSX is that scenery can be added or removed 'on the fly' as it was in the good old days unlike FS9 where you have to add scenery then come out of the sim then go back again for the scenery.cfg to rewrite. Of course, the world according to Bill Gates and his boys changes with each incarnation of the sim and this fact among others may cause issues. It's also probably true that scenery not written to the FSX SDK (should it appear in the right place and at the correct level) will not work as efficiently as 'true' FSX scenery.

When all is said and done.. I don't think you can physically break FSX by trying FS9 scenery but don't quote me on that :lol:

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

trewinb
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by trewinb »

Thanks Dave,

I seem to remember Tom Gibson saying that there were issues that made him decide to stick with FS9. I'll give it a go anyway. As you said it can't break anything.

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

The only thing that might cause issues is if the scenery includes an AI traffic routes as that will cause the FSX traffic files to stop leaving you with just the add-ons aircraft.

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Looks like I missed a whole load of posts on this thread over the past err, year and a bit!

I am presently restarting work on this. As with all my sceneries they are FS9 (and probably backwards compatible to earlier FSs) but sadly I believe not forwards compatible to FSX unless someone knows some clever trickery. I never made the leap to FSX and it sort of doesn't seem worth it now. I might hang on and see what this "Flight" thing is like.

Unfortunately at some intervening point, my ISP was bought by two successive companies and I have now lost access to my FTP (although they still bill me for it :rant: ) Once I have access (and have probably removed my files, closed it down and transferred to another ISP :lol: ) I might be able to post some updated screenshots. That is unless of course someone volunteers to help me out there?

Currently working on the PAN AM and Air India hangars to the south of runway 28L / 8R.