Heathrow 1966 Work in Progress

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Heathrow 1966 Work in Progress

Post by TobyV »

Hello chaps, was going to keep this under wraps for a while longer but since I may require some help I thought I'd post a couple of quick screenshots. FS isnt properly set up on the PC I am developing this on, hence west London in the background looking like a desolate wasteland!

General overview showing what are now (or were until recently), Technical Block E (TBE) in the foreground with Viscount House adjacent, TBD immediately behind it, TBA (aka 'the Kremlin' to BA folk apparently!) at the rear left and TBB to the rear right. TBB was demolished in 1997 having been latterly used as the Concorde maintenance hangar so I am told as is presently a car park. Comet House and Speedbird House are missing from this view and will be added.

This image shows the rear of a W-I-P TBE and Viscount House. These buildings have been demolished in the last couple of years except for the 'front facing' hangars of TBE.

In general I have quite a lot of reference material although anything anyone can provide would be welcome. No firm release date and no other derivative versions are planned!

Hope everyone is having a good Christmas :xsmile:

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Heathrow 1966 Work in Progress

Post by DaveB »

Good one Toby :thumbsup:

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Hi Dave,

I'm presuming that no-one else has yet produced an 'historic' Heathrow sicne one was requested some months back? I'll post a few more screenshots when I can. I've only been on this for about a week (actually modelling) so theres nothing to see other than maintenance areas at the moment.

I've a resonable amount of material to go on for Terminal 2 (Europa / Britannia building), the Queen's Building and the Tower, but I could use anything anyone has on Terminal 3 (Oceanic Building). Terminal 1 didn't open until 1968, so I am not worrying about that! :xgrin:

Also, and in some ways most importantly, any photos that show the collection of hangars and small buildings to the north of Terminal 3 and any other odd buildings around the airport would be much appreciated. It of course always the most obvious places that get documented and the little bits of detail that add the feeling of realism that are hard to track down!

Toby

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

NIce one Toby :welldone:

Trident two 1966??? :-#
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Toby :hello:

Wolfgang did a Heathrow '61 for FS9 which is great except that it's for default mesh. Most of us FS9er's use non-standard mesh so you end up with the western end of the airport with rather more water than necessary :( LHR in the 60's changed from month to month so any new version (later or earlier) will be different ;)

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Could that not be remedied by use of a flatten object / file sitting above the mesh in the scenery library hierachy? From (vague) memory I think it could even be done by a couple of lines of text giving coordinates of the area to flatten (and at what altitude to flatten it) in the relevant config file *-)

I hope I dont have any similar issues with my scenery since the way I am doing it, its just a straight swap for the default Heathrow but it does work at least with the (old) VFR scenery and accompanying mesh.

A few more piccies:

Garry - wondered if someone would spot that! Its about the only aircraft I have installed! I may paint up some T2s as T1s. Not sure if DM ever has any plans for a T1. I seem to remember one sticking point was the lack of photos of the upper surface of the wing with droops extended although I have recently found one and presumably Neil could photograph Papa Oscar now that he is working on that.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Quite possibly Toby.. I don't make scenery, I just use it :xgrin:

Your version being compatible with UKVFRPhoto/UKVFRTerrain should be just the ticket for most of us here on this little bit of rock ;)

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

John
Concorde
Concorde

Post by John »

ahhh that'[s wonderful, just as I remember it as a child.

Brilliant work Toby, Brilliant!

Kind regards

John
never give up, never surrender

tgibson
Viscount
Viscount

Post by tgibson »

Hi Toby,

Perhaps after you finish your airport you could collaborate with us at CalClassic on redoing Wolfgang and my 1961 scenery? (and if you guys help we'll try to make it compatible with more than just the default scenery?). It could be as simple as substituting your new buildings for our generic library objects, or whatever you like. It would be nice to have two eras. :)

Thanks,
Tom Gibson

Cal Classic Propliner Page
http://www.calclassic.com

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Hi Tom,

I think one or two of my buildings here possibly have the wrong logos on them for their era. For 1961, you'd have to remove the piers from T2 and T3 and add the former Fairey hangar and original tower back in - plus Heathrow North. I'll get to the end of this (might be some months as I am back at work now) and we'll see what we can do ;)

Toby