Westonzoyland Released

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DelP
The Gurus

Re: Westonzoyland WIP

Post by DelP »

I can confirm that Westonzoyland is one word....it says so on the roadsign outside :lol:

The airfield itself is a few fields away from the site of the Battle of Sedgemoor in 1685 and Brian Clough, the football gaffa, did some of his National Service in the RAF at Westonzoyland...

I did mention to Trev that it would be nice to have a 50's setup with Canberras, etc. but he rightly pointed out that there is no photo evidence for that era. Another complication is that when the airfield was extended the A372 road from Bridgwater to Othery was re-routed..it was reinstated in the 70's and now forms part of what used to be the main runway...wouldn't want to model that.... :lol:

Derek ;)
'My Auntie Mabel told me I'd make a great soldier, though I don't know how 30 years working in a biscuit factory had qualified her to make that judgement.....' Eddie Nugent

Airborne Signals

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

This little project will be out late next week.

I have got bored watching the AI do their stuff (checking my modelling!) so I have made a start on the next airfield....possibly the most northerly airfield (but not glider field!) in the England??? Any guesses?????
ATB Trev

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

Can't wait for this one Trev. I really did'nt expect this airfield to ever be modelled.

Its certainly one that is easily overlooked.

I know its not out yet but thank you in advance. :welldone:

I owe you a virtual pint. ;)
Image I suffer from paranoid amnesia. I can't remember who I don't trust.Image

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

....possibly the most northerly airfield (but not glider field!) in the England???
I'm guessing it's not Abingdon then :(

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

I'm guessing it's not Abingdon then
Hi Dave another guy has an Abingdon half done, so I will wait and see if he releases it soon. It's a big place to make, only to find another one released when you are halfway through it. I am doing RAF Bicester (grass though :S ) in Oxfordshire soon, just waiting to get a book on it when I am back in the UK in a few weeks. Others are coming are Thurleigh and Wisley as well as Portsmouth. Pompey will be a real back from the ashes of a housing estate though!!
ATB Trev

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol:

Yes indeed..

I only realised the size of the place with GenXv2 and thought you might have a fight on your hands. ;)

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by 511Flyer »

Winfield? Near Berwick-on-Tweed. RAF Millfield was close to the border, but I don't know if it's still active.

As you might guess, I've been delving into the library again. Nothing better to do on a cold saturday afternoon.

D.

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by 511Flyer »

Just discovered a very interesting site. MS Virtual Earth:UK Active & Disused Airports, Airfields, Heliports & Landing Sites. Just click on the name of the airfield, and it appears in top down view. Zoom in and out, and drag where you will.

http://www.content-delivery.co.uk/aviation/airfields

I apologise if this is old hat, but it's new to me. Check out the links at the bottom of the page, lots of interesting reading. Loved the old Aviation Adverts.

By using the map, I found that Winfield is actually north of the border.

D.
Last edited by 511Flyer on 19 Feb 2010, 16:43, edited 1 time in total.

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

Thanks for that link - very useful.

Nigel²

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

RAF Millfield is the most northerly, but it is a glider field (and has been done for Horizon/VFR) only. RAF Boulmer is up there too, but only has heli-pads. The one I am doing is next to the A1 road ;)
ATB Trev