HS Trident reversers...

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

SamRo
Comet
Comet

HS Trident reversers...

Post by SamRo »

I have DM's Tridend's in FSX the Reversers work as they should once the main gear is on the ground, But they don't seem to work in flight, I thought the Trident was one of the only airliners cleared to use reversers in flight? is it a fsx limitation?

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Re: HS Trident reversers...

Post by Garry Russell »

I don't think they do in FS.(

A general FS limitation I would think as reversers are a set function built into the game.

The reversers wer onlt used in rapid descents and it was an uncomfortable experience and not often done.
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

WhisperJet
Concorde
Concorde

Post by WhisperJet »

How about that procedure on the 1-11?? *-)
I can't imagine - but does anyone know?

Cheers,

Nick
Noise Abatement? Never.
(D. Maltby)

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

WhisperJet wrote:How about that procedure on the 1-11?? *-)
I can't imagine - but does anyone know?
Not permitted on the 1-11 :)

NigelC
Concorde
Concorde

Post by NigelC »

As far as I am aware, it was only for selection of reverse thrust just prior to touchdown or could be used for EMERGENCY descents (i.e. pressurisation problems). Never come across it associated with the 1-11, certainly not with any of the 1-11 operators I worked for.

N

"Speed building both sides.....passing one hundred knots.....V1..rotate...oh sh*t..."

clavel9
Comet
Comet

Post by clavel9 »

I have several sets of pilots' notes and manuals for the 1-11 and none refer to deployment of thrust reverse in descent.

I think the Trident 1C was also cleared to use the main gear for additional speed-braking. Must have been a bit alarming for an onlooker watching a Trident with main gear down and nose gear up.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

As Peter mentioned above..not permitted in the 1-11.......he used to fly them :)

I don't think the Trident was limited to emergencies.I think it was something that could be done as part of normal ops by in effect wasn't *-)....Peter??
Garry

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

Garry Russell wrote:As Peter mentioned above..not permitted in the 1-11.......he used to fly them :)

I don't think the Trident was limited to emergencies.I think it was something that could be done as part of normal ops by in effect wasn't *-)....Peter??
Garry,

It was in the standard procedure for an emergency descent (e.g. after a loss of pressurisation). However, it could be used if ATC required a high rate of descent...The levers were just lifted to the engage position in either case but the result was a very high rate of descent but with a steep attitude and a certain amount of rumble...The attitude and rumble did tend to raise a few eyebrows back in the cabin and the Captain would usually make some sort of "calming" announcement.

I understood at the time that the Trident was the only jet airliner in the world with this capability :)

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Thanks Peter

Although not permitted in the One-Eleven I do know of at least one occasion when it was done. During the deep stall of the prototype which I think it was just over eight minutes before impact the revesers were activated together and individually also one in reverse and one full forward in a desperate attempt to throw it out ot the stall grip.

So was it possible although not allowed or would they have tripped breakers...perhaps being a prototype and flown as was in the fatal crash, well beyond normal limits, it had that ability for emergencies?? :dunno:

I've often wondered about that

I suppose though there must be many thing you could physically do but don't because it's outside the operations so never even think to.
Garry

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

petermcleland wrote:I understood at the time that the Trident was the only jet airliner in the world with this capability :)
The DC-8 (all versions) are cleared for inflight thrust reversing and have been since initial certification. As they have no speedbrakes, both inflight reverse and the high gear extension speed (300+ knots) were essential to controlling descent speed when a high rate of descent was needed. Without them, the DC-8 can only descend at about 1500 FPM and keep speed below 300 knots.

Additionally, the 707 was also tested for it, but Boeing chose not to allow it due to the problems encountered with asymmetric deployment during testing (as was later born out by the unfortunate loss of several aircraft due to uncommanded deployment of the reversers)