The last of the line......the Auster AOP.11

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

T6flyer
VC10
VC10

The last of the line......the Auster AOP.11

Post by T6flyer »

Now available over at Britsim, is our latest and final Auster design. Enjoy!!!

We of course have a lot of people to thank for their assistance with this design and the 21 that preceded it. I've probably forgotten someone along the way but here goes...... to Gary Jones' lovely sound files, Peter Watkin's repaints and our wonderful and resourceful beta team, and never ever forgetting the late Leif Harding, who guided us through thick and thin not just to build this aeroplane, but all the others that have emerged from Britsim. This Auster is dedicated to his wonderful service and memory.

The AOP.11 was a modified AOP.9 airframe and was fitted with a 260 hp Continental 6-cylinder horizontally opposed engine - which of course was more powerful than the 180 hp Bombardier of the earlier marque. The installation of this engine, raised the maximum speed to 142 mph (228 km/h) and the empty weight to 1,806 lb (816 kg).

Apart from the engine, the AOP.11 was almost identical to its predecessor. Early in its career, the undercarriage had spats, though these were later removed. Only one was produced, making its first flight on 18 August 1961 with serial XP254. A year later it was registered to Beagle aircraft, that had taken over Auster in 1960, as G-ASCC where it was known as the Beagle Mk 11, the E.3 or as the A.115. It was sold into private hands in 1971 and is still airworthy today.

Now........this is to be our last Auster design. Hurrah, some of you might say, but its truly been a labour of love for the three of us and we now feel its time to move on and create something as Monty Python say 'completely different'. We have a few projects in hand, with one soon to be created, but we are sticking to the classic British designs, although all of you will have never seen any of these before in the simulator. That makes it all that bit more interesting.

We have a lot of people to thank you in creating the 22 Auster aircraft modelled in FS2004. Not just the people at Britsim, but the various owners who have helped us along the way. We have always strived to created as close as possible to the real thing, a simulator model which replicates in both looks and flying characteristics, a model which within the confines of the software is a true replica. This has been supported from past owners and pilots who learnt to fly or owned Austers who have given us very positive feedback. We never just had a sheet of performance figures to work from and in all instances, had use of the aeroplanes themselves, the flight and technical manuals (went through two scanners!!), over 200 photos of each aeroplane - carefully cataloging each part of course and then wonderful, wonderful assistance at all times from the owners.

Hopefully not forgetting anyone - Richard Webber (Mk.3, Autocrat, Alpine, Aiglet Trainer, AOP.9), Jeff Houlgrave (AOP.9), Bryn Andrews (Terrier 2), Roger Benson (Autocar), Roy Ingram (Mk.5), Alan Beale (Arrow), Charles Sunter (Alpha) and Dan O'Gorman (Husky). Thank you gentlemen!!

I've flown in the majority of them myself and can say that they are the closest you will get to the real thing (biased moi?!), but without the help of others, the icing on the cake would sadly be missed. If it was a project airframe i.e. the A2/45, the B4 Ambulance or the glider, we had superb assistance from the Auster Company Archives that are held in Leicester under the watchful eye of Peter Stoddart.

I, too hope that all of you have enjoyed the Austers over the last two years or so and that they give you as much pleasure in the simulator, as it took for them to be built. And well, just watch this space for what emerges in the future........

Happy Landings (without that Auster bounce!),

Martin Pengelly

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: The last of the line......the Auster AOP.11

Post by Filonian »

Thanks for the HU Martin.

As all the others of the breed, a joy to fly and a fitting tribute to Leif.

Many thanks to all the team for another superb aircraft.

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

mgchristy
Trident
Trident

Post by mgchristy »

Thanks Martin! Another worthy addition to the hangar. I'm sad to see the Austers end, but eager to see what other mystery ships are in the works. As Graham noted, a very nice tribute to Leif after his untimely passing...
Mark

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

Thanks to Martin and the team for their work.I am always full of admiration for all those who put so much into their creations and then make them available to all. :thumbsup: EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

Swanoir
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Swanoir »

I've enjoyed every Auster released. Martin, yourself and the rest of the team should be very proud of the work you've done. It's people like you who are the core of our hobby and without you we genuinely wouldn't be here experiencing the quality and imersion we do. And without being paid! We don't always remember to thank you in the way we should, and we take for granted that you will always be there. Leif's passing has reminded me what a great bunch of people I rely on to enhance my 'spare' time, of whom I've never met a single one! Keep doing what you do, I really appreciate it.

JohnWillimas
VC10
VC10

Post by JohnWillimas »

I'm with Swannoir on this. First class work that's provided me with hours of pleasure. Thanks to the whole team. The AOP11 is just another great job!

T6flyer
VC10
VC10

Post by T6flyer »

Many many thanks for the nice comments - so much appreciated. You have not heard the last from us I'm afraid and I think that the next subject will be a little shall we say different from the Auster - but then of course will still be a classic British design. After that, I've already started working on the next two and then who knows - we have some ideas, but they have to be discussed to see if they are viable projects. Whatever emerges next from the Molyneaux, Horsey and Pengelly works will be as close to the real thing as we can get it - that's the way we work together as a team with the ever resourceful beta testers. The No.1 project has had wonderful support from people already and like the Austers, we hope to work fully with owners (wherever possible) in the future. It is their input to the projects, that makes it all worthwhile and all that more realistic.

Martin

kikko
Comet
Comet

Post by kikko »

Thank you for the big effort and the Auster legacy :rock: Hope the next one will be also for FS9 :thumbsup:

T6flyer
VC10
VC10

Post by T6flyer »

kikko wrote:Thank you for the big effort and the Auster legacy :rock: Hope the next one will be also for FS9 :thumbsup:
And thank you too. Yes, all of the projects will be built for FS2004 and if they by any means port over into FSX, then that will be an added bonus for users of that simulator. No modifications will be made for the latter, if it works it works and if it doesn't well......:)

Martin

Silversim
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Silversim »

Martin,
I would just like to add my two 'penneth, and agree with everyone else's comments, a superb stable of Austers :) .

I had a very enjoyable couple of hours on Sunday, around Sussex & Kent, plus my favourite Greek Island of Lemnos B-) , with the AOP.11.(Including a couple of Auster bounces :$ )

Keep up the good work chaps, can't wait for the next project :thumbsup:

Regards
Geoff
It's so nice to be insane, nobody asks you to explain.