Couple of problems with Trident in FSX

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: Couple of problems with Trident in FSX

Post by TSR2 »

DM, if you can check the trident flights I've done in the past few months for the VA, i used alt aquire and hold on all of those flights. I just can't remember if they were FSX or FS9. I've not experienced any nodding.

821, What airspeed are you running when you get the nodding, also, are you running weather?
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Highlander_821
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Highlander_821 »

MALTBY D wrote:
Does that all sound like normal behavior for the current version?
Yes, that sounds good, hardly any A/P functions work on the ground.
Also sounds normal for all older versions too though! ;) I guess your older version was broken.

This newer version was mainly updates to improve VC visuals, along with a few minor fixes for certain FSX related bugs.
If you had a very old version (2005), the updates do mention a fix for oscillations with alt hold. Could it have been that?
http://www.dmflightsim.co.uk/updates.ph ... DENT_PANEL

As for using A/P during takeoff. It wasn't done on these aircraft.
In maximum automation the Trident was A/P on at 500ft and then it could be flown automated until it landed.

There's no need to preset pitch. When you engage 'Alt Acq' the current pitch will be held until you change the pitch wheel (or engage IAS hold).
IAS hold was the normal mode for the climb. Keep it at climb power (11500 RPM?) engage IAS hold and gently adjust required speed. It then takes care of vertical speed for you. Once in IAS mode, Alt Acq can also be engaged.

DM
Ok. I think I've got it. The fundamental problem I had was that the previous model had taught me to engage everything except the actual AP paddles before takeoff. Then I would just turn on the master and everything else would already be on and lit. Clearly not the case any more. Once I got that idea through my cranium, I flew a perfect flight, everything is operating nominally. Whew!

Thanks guys for all your patience. This plane is one of my absolute favorites. When I was a kid, we lived in the States but traveled to Scotland frequently to visit grandparents and cousins and the like, and we would very often fly on a Trident from London to Glasgow on British Airways "shuttle". I've always really liked the T-tail tri-jets like the Trident and the 727. I also love the DC-9.

Highlander_821
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Highlander_821 »

Ben Watson wrote:DM, if you can check the trident flights I've done in the past few months for the VA, i used alt aquire and hold on all of those flights. I just can't remember if they were FSX or FS9. I've not experienced any nodding.

821, What airspeed are you running when you get the nodding, also, are you running weather?

Hi Ben. I am not having that issue any more. Got everything sorted now. Turns out I had outdated versions of the files, which had in turn taught me some incorrect procedures which the current version simply won't allow.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Glad to hear you're sorted Highlander :thumbsup:

Have a good one ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

Highlander,

You could always try my Tutorial (downloadable from DM's site). It was written for FS9 but I imagine it would work for FSX too. A lot of people did use it to familiarise themselves with the Trident :)

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

HIghlander :hello:

In case you didn't know

Peter was a BEA/BA Trident Captain so what is in his tutorial is as it was :)
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Highlander_821
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Highlander_821 »

Garry Russell wrote:HIghlander :hello:

In case you didn't know

Peter was a BEA/BA Trident Captain so what is in his tutorial is as it was :)

That's pretty cool. I wonder if I ever flew with Captain Peter. I flew on the London-Glasgow shuttle on the Trident many times in the early to mid-late 1970's. :Dance:

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol:

There's every chance you did 821. Throw some dates at Peter and he'd be able to check his logbook. I narrowed down a date I flew LHR to LIS by BA T3 in '76 but sadly, it wasn't Peter up front :( That was my one and only flight in a Trident.

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

I flew a lot of shuttle flights in that period and it is very likely that you flew with me...they are all in my logbooks so as Dave says, you only need to provide some dates, but the approx time of day would be useful :)

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

My one and only flight on a ba Trident was from Trieste to, I think heathrow then shuttle to Manchester. Second thoughts, could have been direct to Man as I cant remember the following flight. Fairly sure though the date was Sat 15th December 1979!! Should have flown out of Venice, but airport was fogbound , as was the incoming flight and we were diverted to Milan arriving by bus at Marco polo 3am. :lol:
There was no hot food available at Trieste for Pax so bar was free all the way back ;)
Happy days
Dale
Image Image Image