Couple of problems with Trident in FSX

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Highlander_821
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Couple of problems with Trident in FSX

Post by Highlander_821 »

Thanks for this site and the wonderful aircraft. I have tried searching for answers to these two issues on this forum, but I can only find references to solutions, not the actual solutions.

Issue 1: I seem to have engine smoke for 3 engines, but it appears to be several meters to one side of where the engines are. Essentially the smoke is just out there in the air to the left of my aircraft. I searched and saw mention of an aircraft.cfg entry that needs changed, but I can't find what the actual values should be changed to.

Issue 2: When I did a short flight to test the plane out, I only climbed up to 6000 feet for the very short enroute portion of the flight. Everything went as planned, and the autopilot had no trouble leveling off at my pre-set altitude when we got there. But then I tried another flight where I was to level out at 16000, and the autopilot was diving and climbing at around +600 fpm or -600 fpm, never able to settle on 16000. Any idea why?

DaveG
The Gurus

Re: Couple of problems with Trident in FSX

Post by DaveG »

Hello Highlander, & welcome to the forum :hello:

Open up your aircraft.cfg for the Trident & look for the [SMOKESYSTEM] section. The order of the co-ordinated needs to be changed from X,Y,Z to Y,Z,X so it will look like this:

Code: Select all

[SMOKESYSTEM]
Smoke.0=-41.90, -7.80, -1.500, DM_TRI_Smoke_FSX_R
Smoke.1=-41.90,  7.80, -1.500, DM_TRI_Smoke_FSX_L
Smoke.2=-53.50,  0.00, 0.00, DM_TRI_Smoke_FSX_C
Nor sure what's up with your second problem. Hopefully someone more familiar with the Trident will be along soon.
Dave G.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Welcome aboard Highlander :hello:

With regard to the autopilot,make sure you load a default aircraft before the Trident so the Sim is 'reset'

Failing this can cause the complex coding to malfunction :worried:
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Highlander_821
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Highlander_821 »

Garry Russell wrote:Welcome aboard Highlander :hello:

With regard to the autopilot,make sure you load a default aircraft before the Trident so the Sim is 'reset'

Failing this can cause the complex coding to malfunction :worried:
Thanks Gary.

I tried loading the default 737 first. Then loaded the Trident. Same issue. I set the AP to acquire 16,000 and set the ptich control to a few degrees up. Take-off, gear up, engage the AP, everything is looking great. 1800-2000 fps, and it starts to taper off at about 15,700, just like all my other planes. But when it gets to 16000, it keeps going at 600 fps to 16,100, then -600 fps down to 15,900, then 600 fps up to 16,100, then again ad nauseum. I am going about 290 kias in the climb.

I don't know if it makes any difference, but I am running the Acceleration pack version of FSX.

Highlander_821
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Highlander_821 »

I played with this a little more. No problem leveling off at 6000. Works just as it should. Then, same flight, set it to acquire 16,000, it gets up there and starts with the porpoise routine. Up and down, up and down, never really getting more than 100 feet or so from 16,000, but it just can't settle on it. This is with both the trident 2 and 3.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I wish I knew the answer to this Highlander but nothing obvious is springing to mind from what you've said. I'm still a die hard FS9 user but I do have FSX installed up to ACC so I'll drag the old girl over and see if I can duplicate what you're seeing. Many here.. Ben in particular.. use the Tridents in FSX and haven't reported this issue so it shouldn't be anything major to sort out. Hang in there and we'll try and get you sorted ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

No idea but I know two people getting trouble with the CL-44 , they both have the same problem and other FS.X users are not reporting it.

They are both using accellration

Acelleration does 'appear' at least, to give added problem to original FS9 aircraft even after some limited FS.X upgrading.

One other thing with these complex models...always use the AP switch, never use the 'Z' key
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Well.. it's an odd one mate *-)

I've just loaded the T3 up at Wake Island.. climbed to an 'acquire' alt of 6000ft then selected FL160 and off she went. Cranked the gas up to 300kts at FL100 and let her wind her way up. Pitch showed around 800fpm all the way to 15700ft when it began to reach the selected alt and backed off to level. Sat and watched it at this alt for 10mins and it never deveated. Takeoff was with default load. The only thing I adjusted was the heading knob to bring the instrument onto the runway heading. I didn't engage dampers until FL160 but their input wasn't noticeable. From a test point of view, it did exactly as it should. My main problem was finding the 2D panel :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Highlander_821
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Highlander_821 »

Oh gosh. I may have sent you guys on a bit of a wild goose chase. It seems that I may not have had the latest files. I had actually downloaded this trident from Flightsim.com or Avsim.com. It is the Dave Malby plane, but earlier files it seems. Sorry about that.

I deleted the aircraft, panel, and sound files from my setup, including the DMFS shared folder. I then installed the Trident files from Dave's website. I got all the sound.ini and updated FSX files and such. The plane loaded fine, panel and sounds are all there. But now the autopilot won't work properly at all. I tried the suggestion and loaded the default 737 first, then switched over to the Trident. No luck. I can't select azimuth master, the light just blinks on and immediately goes out. The altitude function will let me turn it on, but the pitch adjust wheel doesn't do anything. UURGH.

So now I've gone through and deleted everything again, I even found a couple of files in App Data/Roaming/Microsoft/FSX/Simobjects/Airplanes that were related to the Trident and deleted them too. Is there anything I'm missing? I want to make sure before I make one last attempt to install this plane.

Sorry for the mixup. I really love this plane and would like to get it working properly.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Yo Highlander :hello:

Don't worry mate. Even the newest files were made for older OS's (I think, as I'm still on WinXP SP3 for a while longer). For certain, you did the right thing by getting the very latest files off DM's website. My problem is that I don't know where Vista/Win7 sends files or if it sends them at all due to administrator conventions (or interventions as the case may be)! :dunno:
So that I know where I stand with my FSX load, all FSX native aircraft go in the default Airplanes folder in SimObjects and all non-native models go in a new Aircraft folder with a link to it in the fsx.cfg. This isn't for everyone though and there's no reason I can think of why it shouldn't work if all the correct files are in the correct place. We have Win7/FSX bods here using the Tridents and with luck, one of them will be able to help you out ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage